Monday, December 19, 2005

Week 15 Recap

Quick Thoughts while recounting my best gambling weekend ever...

n So, I had planned to tell you all the gory details of my online poker experience within this space. But considering the reactions I have gotten in the past when I devote my posts to poker, I'll just say this - I had a good weekend. In fact, it was bordering on a fantastic weekend, until I got screwed over last night by the cash-out rules at PartyPoker. If you want the details, get a hold of me and I'll tell you in person...

n Would it be unprecedented for the Texans to completely collapse under the pressure of losing every game? I'm looking forward to the "Reggie Bowl" in Week 17 - Texans/Niners - The winner is actually the loser...

n I fear the Chargers may have awakened a sleeping giant... Now Indy essentially gets three straight bye weeks to rest up for the postseason.

n I'll be honest - if the Bears can somehow avoid playing the Seahawks in Seattle (or altogether, for that matter) I don't see any NFC team that can keep them from the Super Bowl...

n A Patriots' three-peat suddenly isn't looking as ridiculous as it did three weeks ago...

n I was impressed by:

o The Chargers. For obvious reasons.

o The Redskins. And now they're the NFC's 6th seed...? That is just a horrible conference.

o The Giants. Although, considering I had to play against both Larry Johnson and Tiki Barber (and to a lesser degree, Plaxico Burress) in a fantasy league playoff, this game just killed me...

o The Bears. Statement win against yet another folding NFC South team.

n I was appalled by:

o Tampa Bay. At least put up a fight fellas...

o Dallas. OK, so I was one week off with my prediction of Drew Bledsoe packing it in for the winter...

o Houston. I think they had to win, just to silence all the critics who said they were throwing the season...

o Jacksonville. Playoff teams don't beat the 49ers on comeback field goals...

o Seattle. Just change the above line to read "Titans" and "Touchdowns"...

n So here's my little Awards rant... For me, there are six legitimate contenders for 2005 NFL MVP: Peyton Manning, Edgerrin James, Shaun Alexander, Tiki Barber, Carson Palmer and Tom Brady. Peyton & Edge will probably take votes away from each other. Alexander, although supremely talented, plays in mild obscurity from the non-fantasy football media. Carson Palmer has the stats, but with his team, Rudi Johnson could also be considered. That leaves Tiki Barber and Tom Brady - two guys who have absolutely carried their respective teams this season. Personally, although I would like to hand it to Brady, I think his record over the past four years actually hurts him - he's supposed to be the savior. Tiki gets my imaginary vote, not just because he absolutely torched me this week, but because he has consistently been dominant, even when his young QB struggled and the passing threat just wasn't great enough for defenses to take seriously.

n Side note: if the Chiefs somehow back-in to the playoffs, Larry Johnson gets a lot of consideration...

n 12-3 heading in to tonight's barnburner of a game (I'm taking credit for a win in the Pittsburgh/Minnesota game - I flip/flopped right after the news of the indictments against the Vikings came out.) I'm sticking by the Packers +4, even though I teased them up to +9.5, so as long as they don't lose by more than 9, I'll be a very happy man.

Lata.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home