Thursday, December 08, 2005

Week 14 picks

Week 14 picks

I think I’m beginning to wear on my roommate’s nerves. You see, I have a nasty little habit (well, many more than one, but that’s another story). For some reason, while playing poker online, I always end up listening to Guns ‘N’ Roses “Appetite for Destruction”. Whether or not I start with anything else, my musical selection works it’s way back there.

At this point, I’ve gotten pretty good about using headphones, but I think that I continue to tap out the beat on the table far too much. I’m pretty certain that if he has to hear “Mr. Brownstone” one more time, I’m going to end up being strangled by my own headphone cord one night…

I have no idea where this is headed. Just felt like sharing. Onto this week’s picks…

Lines from PinnacleSports.com via ESPN.com’s Daily Lines, and accurate as of 2PM Thursday.

VIKINGS (-7) over Rams: Feel free to jump aboard the Vikings’ bandwagon… there’s plenty of space. I’ll keep driving this thing until about the first round of the playoffs, when I’ll hand the reins over to someone else and jump off mid-roll, just before it heads over the cliff…

Raiders (-5.5) over JETS: This line opened at Oakland (-3) and has jumped 2.5 points in three days. That’s not a good sign. Of course, it could be the fact that A) Curtis Martin’s knee might finally force him out of the lineup, or B) The Jets seem to be openly tanking games in the hopes of getting Reggie Bush.

STEELERS (-5.5) over Bears: Pittsburgh just needs it more… Besides, nothing exposes a young, weak QB like the threat of a looming QB controversy and a high-level defense on the other side of the ball. Combine that with the QB playing on the road, in a place like Pittsburgh, and it’ll be over faster than you can say “Rex Grossman”…

PANTHERS (-5.5) over Bucs: I really like Tampa in this game. In fact, I’d be perfectly happy teasing them up to +11.5. But there’s supposed to be a cold snap hitting the East Coast this weekend, meaning this game could be played in sub-zero temperatures. Carolina has a better running game, a better QB, and a better defense. Plus they’re the home team. It all makes sense when you do it scientifically, which is Why Tampa will probably win by 7+…

JAGUARS (+7.5) over Colts: First time I’ve picked against Indy in a long time… I think Houston (+22) was the last time I took a shot on a Colts’ opponent. This seems like it’s bound to be a 3 or 4-point game. Or maybe Indy wins by 30, who really knows. Let’s put it this way – I’m not touching it…

Patriots (-3.5) over BILLS: Paging Eric Moulds... Paging Eric Moulds… you have a call on line 2. Some guy who calls himself “T.O.”… says you’ll know who it is…

Browns (+12) over BENGALS: If the Bengals don’t put up 30 in this one, I’ll be stunned. Of course, I’d also be surprised if they didn’t allow at least 17… I’ll just tease it to Browns (+18). I’ll sleep better with that number…

TITANS (-6.5) over Texans: In the worst game of the week, the old, bad team beats the young, bad team into the ground.

49ers (+15.5) over SEAHAWKS: Talk about a letdown game… By the way, I now have a new favorite NFC Team to support. Not only did Seattle cover the (-4) comfortably last Monday night, allowing me to get some much needed sleep, but the defense had an absolutely ridiculous night, allowing my fantasy football team to execute a 30-point comeback win on Monday Night Football, securing a playoff spot in the only league that I’m still semi-competitive in…

Giants (-7) over EAGLES: No McNabb, no Westbrook, no T.O., um… why do we care about this game again? Well, unless you’re a Giants or Eagles fan that is. I suppose there’s a little “cringe factor” element here – watching just to see how bad Philly really has become. Otherwise, just chalk up the New York victory and move along…

Redskins (-3.5) over CARDINALS: Well, I was looking forward to seeing Santana Moss’ numbers on my fantasy team last week while he got to play the Rams’ defense. His line? 5 catches, 58 yards. Not real impressive. Maybe he’ll come through for me in a completely meaningless game against a porous Arizona secondary…

CHARGERS (-13.5) over Dolphins: It would be a complete travesty if the Chargers were the odd man out in the AFC Wild Card chase…

Chiefs (+3) over COWBOYS: I actually don’t have any hard reasoning for this pick, just a gut feeling. I think Drew Bledsoe has entered his annual “is the season over yet?” phase… more importantly, the Chiefs are riding a pretty nice emotional wave with big wins over New England and Denver the past two weeks. Let’s just see if they can do it on the road now…

BRONCOS (-14) over Ravens: So many big lines this week. Makes for some pretty nice teasers though. Anyway, back to this game. Denver is looking for a way to blow off some steam after getting handled by the Chiefs last week. Luckily, the horrible Ravens are coming to town, so the Broncos should be able to work out some of their anger issues…

PACKERS (-5.5) over Lions: No one cares… Just take Favre at home and in prime time…

FALCONS (-10) over Saints: If it weren’t the Saints, there’s no way I’d lay 10 points with Atlanta. But… Actually, no, I still won’t lay 10 with Atlanta. I’ll lay 4.

RECAP: VIKINGS / Raiders / STEELERS / PANTHERS / JAGUARS / Patriots / Browns / TITANS / 49ers / Giants / Redskins / CHARGERS / Chiefs / BRONCOS / PACKERS / FALCONS

Best Lines to Tease +6:

VIKINGS (-7 to –1)

Colts (-7.5 to –1.5)

BENGALS (-12 to –6) or Browns (+12 to +18) – shouldn’t matter…

TITANS (-6.5 to -.5)

SEAHAWKS (-15.5 to –9.5) or 49ers (+15.5 to +21.5)

CHARGERS (-13.5 to –7.5) or Dolphins (+13.5 to +19.5)

BRONCOS (-14 to –8)

Saints (+10 to +16) or FALCONS (-10 to -4)

Lots of big lines means lots of teasers. And lots of teasers means lots of games that can probably be teased either way (hence the 4 “or” teasers above). Good Luck, and I’ll see you here next week…

Hopefully with a new TV, and a much healthier bank account…

Lata.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home