Monday, November 28, 2005

Week 12 Recap

Quick Thoughts while planning to name my first son “LaDanian”…

n A melancholy way to start today’s thoughts. Mr. Miyagi, Pat Morita, died last Friday. That’s just sad. Sorry, I hate to start out on a down note, but Mr. Miyagi, I think, has influenced us all in more ways than we could ever imagine. Or maybe I just say things like “Wax On, Wax Off” way too much. Anyway, onto the nonsense…

n Thank you, thank you, LaDanian Tomlinson. Not only did you single-handedly save the Chargers’ game yesterday, and possibly the entire Chargers’ season as well, but you covered the (-4) spread, AND scored enough points to defeat my closest fantasy football rival and guarantee that I couldn’t fall out of first place. I have a new favorite Non-Patriot to support. And no, I’m not telling you who the old one was – I think I’d be booed out of town.

n Tough loss for the Jets last night. That one can’t be pinned on the kicker – Brooks Bollinger’s fumble on the 2nd Down shotgun snap is what doomed them. Even if he catches that snap and just throws the ball away, they save 3 yards – the kick was short by maybe one…

n Now the Giants? They certainly can blame the kicker. Although it might have been nice if the offense could have gained some kind of yardage when they were “close” to field goal range. Can’t expect the guy to make a 53-yarder when his career long is like 48.

n I was impressed by:

o Jacksonville. I know, last week I used this space to rip them apart for allowing a garbage TD that cost me a cover (and a pretty good amount of money). But winning that game without your starting QB (also my starting fantasy QB, by the way. Ugh.) was pretty nice. They’ll be underdogs the rest of the way without Leftwich – I say they go 2-3 down the stretch.

o San Diego. Real nice comeback yesterday, capped off with LT running for the game winner, untouched. Tough loss for the Redskins, but not a game that anyone thought would be that close anyway…

o St. Louis. Now THAT’s a comeback. Geez. Houston must be looking for a hole to crawl into and die. I mean, a Harvard QB just passed for 300+ and 3TDs against the Texans’ defense. Meet this weeks’ Fantasy Waiver Wire Wonder – Ryan Fitzpatrick!

o Chicago. These guys are scary good on defense, and Kyle Orton is gaining more and more confidence every week. They are moving close to a first round bye in the NFC, and although I still think they’d lose to Seattle, New York, and maybe even Dallas, they’ll make some noise in the playoffs. If this isn’t the year for Chicago’s sports teams to dominate, then certainly next year, the Bears have to start the season as a favorite in the NFC.

o Atlanta. I know I forgot to mention them on Friday, but they looked pretty good in dismantling the sorry Lions on Thanksgiving. Move them back up the depth chart of NFC Contenders – right behind Seattle, New York, Chicago and Carolina.

n I was appalled by:

o The Texans. See above.

o The Cowboys. That’s a game you’ve got to win guys. Nice job resigning Billy Cundiff – great job buddy. Don’t let the door hit ya on the way out…

o The Giants’ special teams. Same goes for Jay Feely. Although it wasn’t entirely his fault, two of those three kicks were well within his range, and he missed ‘em all. Twice now, the Giants special Teams has doomed them (see New York v. Minnesota. Thanks for the note, Dom).

o Tom Brady. Ducking the lightning bolts… Yes, I said it. I know I picked the Chiefs to win and cover, but that was a winnable game for New England. The Chiefs didn’t outplay them – the Pats killed themselves. And Brady didn’t look comfortable all day long. Of course, when you have two offensive starters left from the Opening Day lineup, some excuses can be made…

o Michael Irvin. Don’t you ever learn? You’re not above the law. And the whole “It belongs to a friend” defense? Not buying it. Either own up to it, or produce this “friend” and have him take the responsibility. Otherwise, kiss that sweet TV gig (and maybe even the Hall of Fame) goodbye.

n Did Notre Dame really almost lose to Stanford? Stanford? Wow, that’s just bad. And people wonder why 2-loss teams shouldn’t be in BCS games…

n Actually, lemme amend that. Ohio State deserves a BCS bid (and as a Michigan fan, it really pains me to say that). OSU has two losses all year – one to #2 Texas and one to #3 Penn state (and both were pretty close games). That’s a heck of a resume.

n Ho hum, another week, another week in first place for Big D and The Kids Table. Getting a little boring now, wouldn’t ya say? I’m just proud that my team has “spent more days in first place” than all the other teams in the league combined… (A little Boston humor there. If you don’t get it, it’s OK. It wasn’t that funny.)

n Sticking by my pick of Colts (-9). I’m 10-5 heading into tonight on the week (stupid Niners/Texans/Seahawks/Packers and Saints). But no matter the outcome tonight, I’m guaranteed my best week of the year to date. I always pick it up at the end of the year – I’ve finally got a clue about what’s going on.

n By the way, if it’s all the same to everyone else, I’d like a Colts win by between 9 and 14 points… please? Any chance of this happening?

Quote of the Week:

During the end of the Giants/Seahawks game, I was talking with my buddy Dom via AIM. We were both watching the game on FOX, typing in things like “Wow, nice catch” and “How in the hell does your team get 11 false starts? Are they all deaf dumb and blind? Just watch the football!”

But Dom had the line of the day, while discussing the Thanksgiving Day games, more specifically, Dallas/Denver:

“Yeah, it was nice to see Ron Dayne finally helping out the Giants. Only took him six years…”

Lata.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home