Monday, December 12, 2005

Week 14 Recap

Quick Thoughts while deciding who I hate more – The Raiders or The Jets…

n I am not a big Norv Turner fan today. The move to Marques Tuiasosopo (can’t believe I spelled that right on the first try) wasn’t finalized before I had all of my bets placed for the week. Since there were only “rumors” that Tuiasosopo was going to start over Kerry Collins, I decided that the Raiders could handle the Jets and cover the (-3) line. So confident was I, that I had the Raiders parlayed or teased (at +3) into all but one bet. I think you can guess how well that went…

n Of course, this wouldn’t be a problem if the Jets had realized that they were supposed to lose that game. I mean, they’re going to need to replace Curtis Martin next season, and unless they totally tank this year and the Texans somehow blow it and win out, Houston’s getting that #1 pick and the Heisman winner that comes along with it…

n See, I knew this would happen. I had back-to-back 11-5 weeks to get all the way up to 98-88-6, during which time I had some fun, made some money, and looked like a relative football genius. Then this week, I got greedy, pushed my bets, and I’m 5-9-1 heading into tonight’s game. 97 losses already – only had 100 all of last season. I’m gonna have to step it up for the last three weeks of the season – three 15-1’s oughta do it…

n Remember waaaaaaay back in late November 2004, when I listed some of my basic rules for football picks? Well, this week blew them up. I picked so many big lines that even I’m ashamed of myself. The Broncos laying 12? Sure, why not? Cincinnati giving up 12 more to the Browns, even though the Bengals have no semblance of a defense? I see no problem with that (I actually picked that one right, then laid dollars on the Bengals. Idiot…) San Diego in a clear trap game against a team with a lot of pride and an above-average defense? Let’s give up, oh, I don’t know, 14 points? That sounds about right. God I’m a jackass…

n I was impressed by…

o Seattle. Letdown game? Was I drunk or something? That’s one way to cement your standing as the best team in the NFC…

o Indianapolis. I think at this point, the Colts should have a permanent home in the “I was impressed by” portion of these posts…

o Tampa Bay. They needed that game, and they went out and just took it away from Carolina. So much for that “cold snap” hitting the east coast…

o Cleveland. I’m telling you, this team is going to be fun to watch in 2006…

o Jacksonville. That’s going to be a tough match-up for the Patriots in the Wild Card round of the playoffs. Speaking of…

o New England. After two lousy drives to start the game, they rolled the Bills with a surgical precision that was eerily reminiscent of the way their offense has operated over the past three Super Bowl seasons. I can’t let myself get caught up in this, but if they were to advance one round in the playoffs to play at Indy in round two… I mean, would that not be the most hyped playoff game ever? Even more, they would have to play Indy twice this year with the Colts coming off of bye weeks. Almost seems unfair.

n I was appalled by…

o The Broncos. So… does this mean that Seattle is actually the second-best team in the NFL?

o The Raiders. The Jets have no reason to be competitive, and you still manage to lose (and badly) to a team playing for draft position and nothing else. That’s pretty sad.

o The Texans. Actually, wait. They still lost the game; they’re still in line for Reggie Bush (or a boatload of draft picks to address a bunch of other needs – RB is one of the few spots they’re solid at). You know what? Nice work fellas. Keep it up…

o The Rams. And so ends the Great Harvard QB experiment…

o The Chargers. Any chance they got caught looking ahead to Indy in week 15? I understand that Miami is playing for pride and to prove that they can be a serious contender in ’06 (they’ll be pretty solid, you watch). But c’mon. In the picks, I wrote that it would be a travesty if the Chargers were the odd-man out of the playoffs this year. Well, after this week, I’m ready to write them off as nothing more than first round fodder for the #3 seed (Bengals or Broncos), so they might as well stay home and let a more competitive team (Kansas City) step in. Speaking of KC…

o The Chiefs. You guys have really got to learn how to A) Hold a lead, and B) Win on the road. Not sure if they realize it yet, but if they make the playoffs, they will not get a home game the entire time. I just don’t see any way that they’ll advance a round.

o My fantasy football seasons. After starting the year hot, going 6-0 to open and reaching the 10-win mark faster than anyone else, my boys found a way to choke away the division title last night, only backing in to a Wild Card spot thanks to the Seahawks ridiculous defensive effort against Philly in Week 13. A sure first round exit and a long off-season lamenting the loss of T.O., Marc Bulger, Byron Leftwich and the unexpected calcification of Curtis Martin await The Kids’ Table, as we make tee times for the next six months…

n Quickly, before I forget. I’m holding off on a lot of baseball talk in this space, instead reserving it for football – related nonsense. I plan to use the bye week before the Super Bowl as a space to review the off-season moves for each team, since many of the biggest names will have found homes by then. However, I have to mention one thing today… How unbelievable would it be to have a 2006 Red Sox starting rotation of Curt Schilling, Roger Clemens, Josh Beckett, Matt Clement and Tim Wakefield? I mean, that’s completely unfair, mostly to Jason Varitek. You’ve got four straight guys throwing 90+ on the gun, followed by Wakefield, whose fastball tops out at about 65. Highest of high comedy.

n I’ll stick by Atlanta (-10) tonight, though I still feel more comfortable with a tease down to (-4). And yes, I obviously haven’t learned my lesson about picking the big lines…

Lata.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home