Monday, October 10, 2005

Week 5 Recap

Quick Thoughts while awaiting the Packers’ next touchdown...

n Braves/Astros Game 4. Wow. Can you say “Instant Classic”? Let’s put it this way – anytime you can hear the words “Now batting for Houston, Pinch-Hitter, Roger Clemens”, you know you’re watching something special.

n Cardinals sweep, Red Sox swept. Talk about things coming full circle. Watching Edgar Renteria ground out back up through the middle was eerie. I was convinced he was going to hit a one-hopper back to the pitcher to end the Red Sox’ season for two straight years – he only missed doing it by about 6 inches.

n Yankees/Angels Game 5. See, this is why I’m glad I have the day off. What’s better than sleeping late, sitting on your couch all day long, watching “The Price is Right”, Playoff Baseball, Seinfeld & The Simpsons’ reruns, and then Monday Night Football? I say nothing. But that’s just me.

n I think for Halloween, I'm going to shave my head, dress up in a nice suit and a Sox cap, and go as David Wells, since he obviously has nothing else to do for the rest of October... C’mon, you’re telling me that in a dark bar, with the alcohol in plentiful supply, I couldn’t pass for him?

n I’m not sure what was more jarring to watch Sunday: the mini-feud between Drew Bledsoe and Keyshawn Johnson, or the egg that Philly laid on the Cowboys’ home turf...

n See, I told you the Patriots don’t lose two in a row. Honestly, with a tie game, four minutes to go, and the ball in Tom Brady’s hands... was there ever a doubt?

n Let’s see... the Ravens, Bears, Bills, Dolphins, Niners, and to a lesser degree, Redskins & Cardinals all are having some level of quarterback issues, and there hasn’t been one single Jeff George or Ryan Leaf rumor yet? I guess the NFL season hasn’t really started...

n I was this close to grabbing Najeh Davenport off the waiver wire in the ol’ Fantasy Football league today, until I heard “Unfortunately, Davenport would later leave the game with an ankle injury – X-Rays pending”. Tough break for “Dookie” Davenport...

n Thank you to the Denver defense for coughing up their 8-point lead (and my cover) in the last two-and-a-half minutes. Luckily though, they were able to clamp down on the two-point conversion, thereby ensuring that after recovering the onside kick, the Broncos would have nothing left to play for and could kneel away my parlay.

n Welcome back to the NFL, Curtis Martin. Where the hell have you been for the first four weeks? You know, when you were my starting running back. I pick today to bench him, and he goes off. Well, only 50+ yards, but the 2 TD’s would have been nice...

n I was very impressed with:

o Indianapolis. They’re scary good right now. Just firing on all cylinders.

o Green Bay. Do I really need a reason?

o Cleveland. If they were in the NFC North, they’d be the odds-on favorite to win the division. (Then again, who wouldn’t...?)

o The Jets. And that is extremely hard for me to admit. Not the prettiest of wins, but a win nonetheless.

o Drew Bledsoe. He’s really found a second life down in Dallas. Let’s see how far he can take it. I haven’t figured out yet what I’d pay to see a New England/Dallas Super Bowl, but since I don’t have much, I can’t imagine I’d pay much.

n I was appalled by:

o Baltimore. Why even get off the plane if you’re not going to show up at the field?

o Ditto for New Orleans. Nice work jumping out to the early 3-0 lead. Not so nice giving up 52 unanswered...

o Miami. I appreciate them handing the division lead right back to New England, but at least put up a fight.

o Chicago. That was just plain ugly. Luckily, I picked up the Browns defense at the last minute in anticipation of said ugliness.

n 5-7-1 so far on the week. I still have a great amount of faith in Pittsburgh’s ability to take down the Chargers. Boy, do I need it...

Lata.

2 Comments:

At 9:27 PM, Blogger Matt said...

believe in the cowboys... do it!!! why dont you just believe... like a rational human being...

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Big D said...

au contraire, I do believe. Just look at my NFL Preview post from late August...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home