Monday, September 26, 2005

Week 3 Recap

Quick Thoughts while trying to figure out why I didn’t call in sick today…

(This post was written in sections – first half at 8AM, second half at 3PM.

I had three meetings during the course of the day…)

n Well. That’s certainly the last time I EVER trust a Giants’ fan

n Still patting myself on the back for being the only person around to pick the Cleveland/Indy game correctly…

n So… when do the “What’s wrong with Peyton Manning” questions start flying?

n Hell of a Pats/Steelers game yesterday. I watched most of the first half from a bar in Brighton after coming off the golf course, then listened to the 3rd quarter on the radio on the drive home before getting home in time to see the Steelers tie the game with 1:31 to go. My reaction? “They just killed themselves. Left waaaaaay too much time on the clock…” And they did.

n Chad Pennington might be done for the year with a shoulder injury, again. And with Jay Fiedler suffering a separated shoulder yesterday as well, the Jets are heading straight towards a mid-week signing of… Jeff George? Vinny Testaverde? Maybe Ray Lucas can have a second life in New York? Quincy Carter? I hear Rohan Davey is still available…

n I’m really looking forward to next weeks’ Pats/Chargers game in Foxboro. I can’t wait to hear everyone talk about how the Pats gutted one out yesterday, but how the Chargers offense is way too powerful, etc. They might have a point; Antonio Gates will probably have a huge day without Rodney Harrison patrolling the middle of the field after suffering what looked like a torn ACL yesterday. And if Matt Light’s leg is broken (which is what it looked like on replay), then that’s a HUGE loss on the O-Line. Going to be an interesting week…

n I liked what I saw from:

o New England. Duh.

o Indianapolis. Week 9 might just become the most over-hyped, non-Super Bowl, game ever.

o Tampa Bay. Cadillac Williams is proving that the 49ers, Dolphins, Browns and Bears all need to re-evaluate their scouting departments.

o Minnesota. Although I’m not putting much stock in any win over New Orleans this year.

o Mike Vick, Donovan McNabb, David Akers, Curtis Martin, Byron Leftwich. As someone who knows what chronic pain feels like, I have a lot of respect for what those five guys (and many others around the league, I’m sure) were able to do with relatively serious injuries. Especially Akers. I know he’s just a kicker, but when you can’t plant your foot and are still able to drill the game-winning field goal… it’s impressive.

n I was appalled by:

o My own stupidity. I know, this should come as a shock to no one, but my decision to flip-flop on the Giants/Chargers game last night was a poor one. Idiot.

o Green Bay. It’s getting painful just to watch them. An extra point cost you the game? An EXTRA POINT?

o New York. Take your pick. The Giants’ inept defense or the Jets’ useless (and quickly collapsing) offense. Brooks Bollinger might start next week for the Jets. Can we just hand the Patriots the AFC East by default?

o Arizona. Good-bye bandwagon.

o San Francisco. Absolutely no justifiable reason to cough up that game yesterday against Dallas. At least the Cowboys got to experience the good side of a 4th-quarter comeback.

n Congrats to the Owner and GM of “Big D and the Kids Table” – i.e. Me – for their 3rd straight win to open the season. I’ve never had a first place team in this particular fantasy football league – at no point in any of our 4 seasons have I been the #1 overall team (both record and points). After tonight’s’ games, it will be three straight weeks of domination. Yes, I’m gloating now to ensure the maximum amount of trash talking when my team inevitably turns into a Manning and collapses late in the season…

n Sticking with KC (+3) over Denver tonight, and big; the over – 48 - should be a no-brainer here…

Other random thoughts…

n I would like nothing more than for the Red Sox to be up by 1 game on October 1st, facing Randy Johnson and the Yankees, in Fenway, with Curt Schilling scheduled to start. There is no other active pitcher, with the possible exception of Roger Clemens, that I would rather have start that game for my team. Schilling just gets it. He loves the spotlight, and he lives for the “big moment”. Sure, it would only serve to feed his ego, but I’d deal with it…

n Naturally, I had planned to be in Boston, across the street from Fenway in “Who’s on First” for that game. But somehow, my employer decided to schedule a course for that weekend, and I have to work. Apparently, my bosses aren’t big baseball fans…

n Soooo glad to have hockey back and starting in a very short while…

n If the White Sox choke away the A.L. Central, will Bucky “Bleeping” Dent be erased from the memory of every Red Sox fan around the nation? I men, we only coughed up a 13 game lead. 15 is much worse…

n Damnit. I was right. Rodney Harrison tore his ACL. And Matt Light broke his leg. Harrison might be done forever, not just the rest of this year. That’s a shame, but at least the Patriots were able to get him a couple of rings.

Well, that put an even bigger damper on an otherwise lousy Monday morning. Bad, bad weekend. Maybe someday I’ll tell ya about it…

Lata.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home