Monday, October 03, 2005

Week 4 Recap

Week 4 Recap

So much to cover today…. Where to start? The MLB Playoffs are set. Football is still rolling (although, let’s be honest. As my friend Tim said yesterday: “Don’t worry – the football season doesn’t start until November.”) Basketball and Hockey are just about to kick off their seasons. My head is spinning with all of this information…

n Congratulations to the eight teams that made the playoffs, including the Red Sox backing their way into the wild card. Thank God the Indians suffered from a brain freeze and weren’t able to beat the White Sox’ AAA team that Ozzie Guillen ran out onto the field this weekend. Otherwise, I’d have a whole winter to complain about this team. Now, I’ve only got a couple more weeks…

n Speaking of baseball, now that the season is over, I went back and reviewed my MLB Preview post from February. I guess I wasn’t that far off after all. Had the Indians’ final record exactly right (although I thought 93 wins would take that division outright – instead, they don’t even make the playoffs), and I was within one game of four other teams’ final records (Yankees, Angels, Pirates & Rockies). Perhaps the funniest thing is that I predicted the Mets & Marlins to finish in a tie for second in the NL East & Wild Card, leading to a one-game playoff. Well, they did finish tied (83-79), but they were each 6 games out of the wild card. And let’s not even discuss the Nats, Astros, Giants, Dodgers, Braves, White Sox, Mariners & Blue Jays, all of which I missed by 10+ games one way or another (20 for the Nats – yikes)…

n One last note about baseball before I jump back to football… Did Eric Wedge just choke away the AL Manager of the Year award? I mean, if the Indians take the Wild Card, he’s got the award hands down, right? But with their horrific finish (5-5 in their last 10 games, 1-6 in the last 7), he might have opened the door for Ozzie Guillen to take back the award that was presumed to be his from April through August anyway…

n OK, back to football… Lots of U-G-L-Y games yesterday, including the one played about twenty minutes from my house at The Razor. The Patriots got their lunch handed to them yesterday, by a Chargers team that was extremely fired up from their big game last Sunday against the Giants. In Bill Belichick’s time as Patriots’ Head Coach, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a second half in which they got outcoached as much as they did yesterday. It was like they went in to the locker room, said “Hey, you know what, we should be up by two scores right now, so let’s keep doing what we’re doing”, then came out and didn’t make one single adjustment for the last 30 minutes of football. Awful performance. And while I’m here, do you think that 22 is an unlucky number for the Patriots? Last year, they had a 21-game winning streak snapped at Pittsburgh. This year, they had a 21-game home winning streak snapped by the Chargers. I think they’re got a mental block about the number 22. Asante Samuel better watch his back…

n Jets/Ravens. Possibly the worst offensive performance you will ever see. Like watching a Freshman Football game back in High School. Two teams that were throwing out QB’s that couldn’t make most D-! College starting lineups right now. And it only gets worse for New York, who has one week to work Vinny Testaverde back into playing shape, and get him acquainted with Mike Heimerdinger’s offense. Good Luck Jets’ fans – Matt Leinart awaits…

n Seahawks/Redskins. How this game ever made it to overtime, I’ll never know. Just a terrible performance, all around. I’m very happy I benched Matt Hasselbeck in one of my fantasy leagues – 242yds and a TD is nice, but I think Jake Delhomme (the QB I started) will have much better numbers tonight.

n Eagles/Chiefs. At 24-6 Chiefs, I turned off the TV and went to go get dinner. By the time I got back, it was 37-24 Eagles, and I was scrambling to look at my betting slips and fantasy lineups (had to see how T.O. was doing). Luckily, not only did I have nothing on the game (there was no line posted when I made my bets), but T.O. had another monster statistical performance. There was no reason for K.C. to cough this one up. That’s a team in trouble, right there.

n Niners/Cardinals. Holy crap. The stink-bomb to end all stink-bombs. This was the best game we could send to Mexico City? And we hope to introduce football to another culture by sending these two wastes of NFL franchises? I went to bed at 14-0 San Francisco. I woke up to find that not only had the 49ers failed to score a single point on offense (2 defensive TD’s), but they had managed to allow Arizona 31 unanswered from midway through the second-quarter until nine minutes into the fourth. Neil Rackers outscored the entire 49ers’ team. He’s a KICKER! Something is very, very wrong here…

n I’m 5-8 for Week 4 heading in to the game tonight. In each of the first three weeks, I’ve decided that I wanted to stick by my original pick for the Monday Night game, and I’ve been wrong in three of the four games (two games two weeks ago) – I got Atlanta right in Week 1, even though I disregarded my own advice and bet on Philly. So, do I change my pick for tonight? No, can’t do it. I’m sticking with Carolina (-8) over Green Bay, in Carolina. I just can’t bet on Brett Favre this year.

Lata.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home