Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Week 7 Recap

Hey everybody - newsflash! I'm an idiot!

I wrote my nice little Week 7 recap last night while flipping channels and finally settling on WSOP coverage (I know - shocking). Then I closed up my laptop, shut down the TV, took a shower and went to bed.

Forgot to post the recap. Dumbass.

So, without further ado...

Quick Thoughts while wondering why Kenny Rogers isn't the villain in this whole mess...

n Let's get it out of the way right now - Kenny Rogers cheated. It's possible he cheated all season long (SI.com has a nice photo piece going all the way back to mid-season where he has a similar "spot" on his pitching hand). Now, because Tony LaRussa apparently forgot to bring his spine to the ballpark with him for Game 2 of THE WORLD FREAKIN' SERIES, Rogers got away with it. It's almost (not quite, but almost) a foregone conclusion that the series will get to a Game 6, meaning that Rogers will have to take the mound again. Think he'll find a more discreet spot to hide the pine tar? How about the back of his hat? Maybe inside his glove? But if he has any type of mark on his hand, he's toast. No way the umps (or LaRussa, for that matter) let him get away with it again.

n You'll all be happy to know that I've given up online poker. Again. I think this is the fourth or fifth time I've said that. But this time, I mean it, and mostly because I don't have a choice. The President signed a law a couple weeks ago that scared the bejeezus out of most of the online sites, so they closed up shop to US residents. Besides, I've got to save up for my (hopefully) triumphant return to Vegas in January...

n Let's see... No Matt Hasselbeck, no Shaun Alexander... No return trip to the Super Bowl for the Seahawks.

n Does any team have a bigger creampuff schedule than the Bears? Their entire schedule consists of four games against 2005 playoff teams - Seattle, NY Giants, New England and Tampa Bay. Ah the power of the NFC North - what team wouldn't like to have four games a year against the likes of Green Bay and Detroit?

n Although, my Patriots do get the Bills and Dolphins twice each... and the Jets, even at 4-3, don't exactly strike fear into the heart of their opponents. At least, not yet.

n In Week 7, I was impressed by:

o Peyton Manning. Hang on; I just threw up a little. But did you see the hit he took early in the game? I honestly thought his head got ripped off along with his helmet - I was fully expecting to see just a bloody stump lying on the turf of the RCA Dome. So what's he do? Comes back and throws for 300+ and 4TDs. Mental note - don't piss off Peyton Manning. Unless you play for the Patriots. Then you can do whatever you want.

o Minnesota Vikings. Not really "impressed", as much as "appreciative". Let's put it this way - the more games the Seahawks lose, the happier I am. Not because I don't like Seattle, but because it just makes their first round draft pick (the one the Patriots now own in exchange for Deion Branch) rise higher and higher up the board. Without Hasselbeck and Alexander for an extended period of time, I can see that pick vaulting into the top 10 pretty easily...

o New York Jets. They're above .500 this late in the season. That's enough for me to hand Coach of the Year to Eric Mangini right now. Of course, if the Bears or Colts stay undefeated, there's a chance that Mangini gets overlooked.

o Atlanta Falcons. Never thought they had a shot to win a shootout with the Steelers. Never in a million years. Without John Abraham, I figured they'd probably keep it close, maybe win on a late field goal (which, ironically, ended up being right). But to put up 41 on the Steelers - that's impressive. Of course, I blew it in my fantasy league when I sat Mike Vick in favor of Chad Pennington, but that's another story.

n (Speaking of fantasy... I play in two different leagues - one for fun, one for money. In my "fun" league, the commissioner has set it up so that runningbacks are devalued - it's easier for wide receivers and quarterbacks to dominate a league than runningbacks. This week, I somehow managed to lose to a team that had no starting quarterback - he had left Marc Bulger active on his bye, benching Ben Roethlisberger. I lost by just over 1 point, when Tiki Barber coughed up the ball for the first time in almost a year on Monday Night. The lesson - I suck at fantasy sports.)

n In Week 7, I was appalled by:

o The Dolphins. You allowed Joey Harrington to throw the ball SIXTY-TWO times for 414 yards?!? And you wonder why you lost to the Packers? More importantly - you have a top five receiver on your team in Chris Chambers, but he only gets two catches for 29 yards. That's inexcusable. And yes, I'm still bitter at wasting a third round pick on him.

o The Bills. There was never a doubt that they would lose the game, but they nearly forgot to show up for it at all. Listen - it's Buffalo. The fans up there are good fans, and they don't ask for much. But you've got to at least be competitive. They've got nothing else to enjoy. The Sabers? Please. (Yes, I realize they're currently 9-0-0 - I'm calling it right now, they will not win the Stanley Cup). The good fans that brought Buffalo Wings to the rest of the world don't ask for much, but could their team at least pretend to be competent?

o Cowboys Fans. Listen, I was a big Drew Bledsoe guy back in the day. I had the good fortune to meet him and basically hang out with him all day long at a trading card show when I was about ten years old, sitting with him as he signed endless cards, hats, helmets, pictures, and anything else people could shove under his nose just a few months after he was drafted. Seemed like a nice enough guy. So it's pretty sad for me to see what he's devolved into - a dinosaur. A relic of a quarterback who came along at the very end of an era, and got caught in the crossover. If he entered the league five years earlier, he's a first ballot hall of Fame QB. Five years later, and he's probably a career backup. But to see the fans in Dallas openly cheering and calling for Tony Romo, that was just disheartening. I can't imagine where Drew will end up next, but I can't see him playing in Dallas any longer. He's said it many times - he will not be a backup QB. He'll force his way out soon enough, but the way this week ended for him, it's kind of hard to watch.

I'll be back later in the week with my Week 8 picks. Maybe this time, I'll actually remember to post it after I write it.

Lata.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home