Monday, September 25, 2006

Quick Thoughts while pondering my first winning week of the season...

First things first - the following paragraph got cut out of the picks post last Thursday night. I think I just bumped the mouse on my laptop and managed to delete a paragraph. Anyway, here's what I picked for the Panthers/Buccaneers game:

BUCS (+3) over Panthers: Listen guys, Carolina's run defense is a complete sieve right now. The Falcons gashed them for way, WAY too many yards. The Vikings managed to pull one out of their asses. Carolina is down and out, and I'm not even sure that Steve Smith is the answer for them. Cadillac Williams should finally break the 100-yard mark this week, with a touchdown or two, and hopefully, that's enough for the Bucs, because Chris Simms has looked downright horrendous this season.

Now, in hindsight, the shot at Simms seems ill timed, especially in light of his life-threatening injury. However, at least the pick was right - the Bucs lost, but they covered the three points (26-24). That puts me at 7-4-2 (Jags & Bears both pushed, although both lines had moved by the time I got any money in... more on that later) heading into Monday Night Football tonight. Admittedly, 7-4-2 ain't spectacular, but it'll do.

So what did I see in Week 3? Gee, glad you asked...

n Right off the top, Chris Simms is the definition of a "football player" if he really did play for a quarter with a ruptured spleen and internal bleeding. That's just ridiculous. The problem is, it's not a good thing. There was no reason for him to be playing if anyone had any inkling that something was seriously wrong. My guess is that the team trainer or doctor gets fired over this one.

n The Titans have the #1 pick in the draft just about locked up - there's no way they can beat the Texans head to head, and Houston is the only real threat to Tennessee' pursuit of an 0-16 season. But with Vince Young and LenDale White already in tow, who will they pick? My guess is an overrated wide receiver, an overrated lineman, or a trade for a boatload of picks from a team that could use Brady Quinn or Adrian Peterson. And yes, I'm aware it's only Week 3.

n I had a terrifying though laying in bed at 1:30 this morning, trying to comprehend how lousy of a day I had... the Jets might be the best all-around team in the AFC East right now. Yikes.

n That's not to say the Pats won't win the division - look at their final eight or so games, there's not one game in there that they shouldn't win. Although I'll be a little more hesitant to give up more than three points with them in the future.

n Daunte Culpepper has been sacked 15 times in three games. He's on pace for 80 sacks this year. EIGHTY - Eight-Zero! No way he finishes the season if this keeps up.

n So, a couple of notes on things I wrote in the Week 3 Picks post. The Bears did not dominate, but they did do just enough to win. The Giants did exactly what I thought - had a massive letdown game after that gigantic come from behind farce of a game last week. The Eagles took out their frustrations on the poor 49ers (who managed to lose their starting runningback AND tight end, plus give up a 98-yard fumble return all on the same play.) And the Sunday Night game was a huge statement win... for the Broncos. Nothing like marching into another team's house and shutting them down cold. I still think San Diego's going to win that division, but Denver looked good last night. Let's just see how long they can keep that up.

n As for my "awful day", sure, my picks were above .500 for the week. Problem is, I don't place bets on Thursdays - I wait for Saturday night and Sunday morning for the lines to finally settle and for injury news to be finalized. That's why I got the Bears at (-3.5) instead of the (-3) they were at earlier (loss instead of push), the Jaguars at (+7.5) instead of (+7), another loss that should have pushed. Although it's not all bad - I had money on both sides of the Carolina/Tampa game, with the Bucs (+3, win) AND the Panthers (-2, push). Too bad every teaser and parlay involved one of the losses I got hosed with. Another week, another week without a winning bet. No more real money for awhile; of course I'll go undefeated when I'm not betting with my money.

n One last thought from the Broncos/Patriots game... Seeing that Denver defensive player puke on the field (I can't remember his name, and I'm way too lazy to look it up) in High Definition might surpass the LT/Theisman hit for most revolting thing I've ever seen in a football game. Sure the Theisman hit was much more serious, but you've never seen puke until you've see it in HD. Disturbing.

One quick note from outside of football. I know - you can't focus on any other sports right now. Sorry.

Back in the mid nineties, I started keeping an eye on the San Diego Padres. I had just found out that a distant, distant cousin (like, fifth or sixth, someone I've never met, and probably never will) actually owned the team, so it gave me a reason to pay attention. I already had my National League team to root for (Atlanta, so this season hurts), but hey, it was technically family, so I had a semi-vested interest. (Full disclosure: he now has a large stake in the Red Sox, not that I needed any more reasons to be a fan of them...)

Hearing that Trevor Hoffman broke the all-time saves record last night was great. But they way he did it was unbelievably surprising. He has never been the flashy type of closer. Sure, he's been injured a couple times (what pitcher hasn't, really?) but he's accomplished all of this with a workmanlike attitude, just going in and getting the job done day in and day out. Never spectacular, never terrible (except in this year's All-Star game... ugh), just going out every year and getting his 35-40 saves. This year, he's the NL saves leader with 43 to date, and he's a major reason that the Padres are still in the NL West lead. So congratulations go out to him.

That's all for now. I, along with probably 2/3 of the country, will be watching Monday Night Football tonight. I'm standing by my Falcons (-3) pick. I'm also making a prediction:

Currently, the highest rated cable television program of all time is a political debate between Al Gore and Ross Perot on the pros and cons of the NAFTA bill. That statement is funny enough by itself. I predict that the ratings for tonight's football game will blow that debate out of the water. There's the New Orleans/Superdome rebirth angle by itself, there's two 2-0 teams, and there's Mike Vick and Reggie Bush on the same field. No doubt in my mind - there will be a new #1 cable program of all time tonight.

And the Falcons will win, 27-16.

Lata.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home