Sunday, February 26, 2006

Quick Thoughts - February

Quick Thoughts while thinking of something better to write…

OK, so this will have to serve as my “update” between the Super Bowl recap post a couple weeks ago and the Baseball Preview post that’s still a couple weeks away. Sorry. I guess I’m just running out of ideas.

A lot has happened in the world of sports since last I posted anything worthwhile. There’s been a Super Bowl, an All-Star game, and an Olympics, not to mention a few fluctuations in the baseball Hot Stove off-season. Guess I’ll just run this down in a random order:

n Perhaps the scariest thing I’ve seen in the past few months… I got my copy of “The Sporting News” (amazing how irrelevant this publication has become with the advance of the Internet & 24/7 news & sports coverage) for the week of February 24th… and on the cover was Johnny Damon, in full pinstripe glory, with a facial expression that can best be described as, well, kinda like the face that a very drunk man would make just before taking a wild swing at a bouncer in a bar. That sounds about right. In fact, click here – you decide for yourself…

n Is it possible for anything in American sports to happen without some type of controversy anymore? From A.J. Pierzynski in last year’s ALCS to the referees in the Super Bowl, to the judges in the NBA Slam-Dunk contest… it seems like it’s not interesting enough to just watch a great sporting event anymore – there has to be a controversy to “keep America’s attention”. Are we that much of an ADD society that we can’t just be entertained? Don’t go clicking another webpage because you’re bored… hey, you… get back here…

n Is there a more useless event in sports than the NFL combine? Do scouts really think they’re going to see something in a player’s abilities at this completely staged event that wasn’t there before? Did a quarterback suddenly learn how to throw a football more effectively that he did when the season ended? Plus, two of the consensus top three picks aren’t even going to show up (Matt Leinart & Vince Young), so unless you’re judging everyone together, how can you really know if this Jay Cutler kid is going to be the best NFL QB of the group?

n By the way – as of right now I think Reggie Bush still goes #1 overall, although I could still see a team trading up to get that pick - the Jets come to mind – John Abraham, the #4 overall pick, a third rounder and maybe next year’s 3rd… That just might work. Plus, Reggie Bush in New York City would be an unbelievable marketing bounty.

n Thank God the Olympics are ending today. I don’t think I could handle another Bode Miller joke or pun (“Guess it’s not Miller Time…” If I hear that again, I swear to God, I’m going on some sort of spree.)

n Actually, the reason I’m happiest about the end of the Olympics – I get to watch hockey again. Any chance that the Outdoor Life Network has upgraded from the 1970’s style graphics they used in the first half of the season to maybe something from, oh, I don’t know, the 90’s? I gotta tell ya folks, if you want some serious laughs, go watch a game on OLN. It’s ridiculous. I couldn’t be happier that most of the Bruins’ games are broadcast on NESN.

n Speaking of NESN… hey – it’s Spring Training time! Which I guess brings us completely full circle in this post. I’m still working on the MLB Season Preview. I’m probably going to post it just before the start of the WBC, with the caveat that any injuries during that ridiculous event (or the signing of Roger Clemens) will most likely change any predictions I might make. Once the season starts, I’ll update as necessary…

Lata.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home