Thursday, October 27, 2005

NFL Picks - Week 8

NFL Picks – Week 8

So, does this mean that the Cubs will win the 2006 World Series? I mean, we seem to be working our way up in length of time between titles. 86 Years for the Red Sox in 2004, 88 years for the White Sox this year, 2006 would mark 98 years for the Cubs, if they can find a way to pull it off.

Personally, I’ve gotta think that in this current era of teams breaking droughts (didn’t think I was going to use the “C”-word, did you?) to win a title that ends generations of futility, if the Cubs don’t win one soon, they never will.

On a happier note, congratulations to that “other” Chicago baseball team, you know, the new World Series Champion Chicago White Sox. They only lost 1 postseason game (Game 1 of the ALCS vs. the Angels), and their sweep marks 8 straight wins for the American League in the World Series.

And congratulations as well to the Houston Astros. They just keep moving one step closer to that brass ring. Before last year, they’d never won a postseason series. They got to Game 7 of the NLCS. Before this year, they’d never been to a World Series. They won the NLCS and made it to the big show. Maybe next year, they can complete the journey and finish the job. Of course, losing Clemens & Bagwell will be pretty hard to overcome, and I really don’t see much chance of either of them continuing to play after this year.

Sometime next week I’m going to try to post a “Hot-Stove” intro for the 2005/06 off-season, with potential big-name free agents and where I think they’ll end up. And I promise, I won’t have the Red Sox & Yankees signing every available free agent. I don’t think either of them wants Kevin Millar…

Onto this week’s picks. Last week I was 9-4-1, bringing to mind the saying about a visually impaired rodent looking for cashews…

I’m 48-50-4 for the season. This is it – this is the week I inch back over .500 baby!

As always, lines accurate as of 8:15AM today, but today they’re taken from Bodog.com:

Redskins (+2) over GIANTS: Big wins for both of these teams last week. Difference is, Washington was able to downshift at halftime of their game against San Francisco, while New York had to grind out a last second comeback against Denver. The game I equate this to is the San Diego/Pittsburgh game a few weeks back. San Diego had a hugely emotional win the week before, while Pittsburgh came off a bye after a bad loss. Well, Washington basically got a bye last week after a bad loss to KC the week earlier. I think the Redskins take this one, and they have it in hand early.

BENGALS (-9) over Packers: Lots of nine-point or higher lines this week. Scary numbers. Awful high. Don’t like to give out that many points. Unless it’s a matchup like this. The Bengals are pissed about last week’s loss. So are the Packers. The difference is, Cincinnati actually has the team to do something about it.

Bears (+3) over LIONS: As much as I’m not a big fan of taking a rookie QB in a divisional road game, I’m also not too big on relying on the Lions for anything in life. You think anything would be better for Chicago fans than to get a World Series title and have the Bears more or less lock up the division in week 8?

PANTHERS (-8) over Vikings: Another emotional win for a team that has to go on the road and face a team coming off a bye. It’s almost like these things are pre-scripted…

TITANS (+4.5) over Raiders: There’s no line on Bodog right now for this game, so I’m setting it myself. I gotta think that the odds makers will reward Oakland for a big win against Buffalo and penalize Tennessee for the loss to Arizona. At least, that’s what I’m hoping will happen…

COWBOYS (-9) over Cardinals: No reason. I just hate trying to figure out the Cardinals. Plus, I can’t imagine that any Cowboys assistant coach wants to get pummeled on national TV by Bill Parcells again. I’ve got a feeling that Dallas will be firing on all cylinders; Offense, Defense, Special Teams, Waterboys – they’ll all be fired up and ready to go.

Browns (+2) over TEXANS: I will not pick the Texans until they either A) Win a game or B) Have another +14 line. I will NEVER pick them if they are favored. At least not this season. Let’s just assume that if the line is anything lower than Texans (+13), I’m taking the other team. It’ll be a law for the rest of 2005, and it’ll allow me to just refer to this post from now on in all Houston games.

Dolphins (+2) over SAINTS: Hmmm… Ricky Williams returning to the team that drafted him and then unceremoniously dealt him for pennies on the dollar. I’d like to think that he’d be all fired up for this game (no pun intended), but since I’m starting Ronnie Brown in the big fantasy league, I’ve got to hope Ricky doesn’t hold a grudge…

Jaguars (+4) over RAMS: Another game with no firm line posted due to injuries, but c’mon – is there any way that the Rams should be favored in this one? Jamie Martin doesn’t exactly instill confidence in the gambling man… not that Fred Taylor does either.

CHARGERS (-6) over Chiefs: OK, there’s a 50.5 Over/Under on this game. I’d be stunned if the combined score didn’t hit 70. More importantly, is it just me, or does this game scream “Teaser! Make me a Pick ‘em!” Yes, that’s what I’m recommending. Also, there’s about a 60/40 shot that I spend too much time thinking about football…

49ERS (+11.5) over Bucs: This line got pulled from Bodog after the announcement that Alex Smith has a sprained knee. No matter – he wasn’t going to run much against Tampa anyway. Again, if you get the chance to tease this up to a +17.5 line, it’s a much better option. The Niners could keep this close, especially if Cadillac’s still sidelined and the Bucs have to rely on – gasp! – Chris Simms…

BRONCOS (-3.5) over Eagles: I don’t like this game one bit. Broncos coming off a tough loss, Eagles coming off an underserved win. I suppose in this situation I’m more inclined to take the home team, but still, I’m not 100% confident in the line. Push it to Broncos (+2.5) and maybe we’ve got a deal…

PATRIOTS (-9) over Bills: Now this one I’m a bit more confident in. Pats, coming off a bye week, have had two weeks to prepare for Kelly Holcomb and Willis McGahee. More importantly, if Tedy Bruschi steps onto that field, he’s worth 3-6 points in the game by himself.

STEELERS (-10.5) over Ravens: If nothing else, this pick ought to show you just what I think about Anthony Wright and his abilities on the road against a halfway decent defense. Pittsburgh is going to make his life hell, and more importantly, they’ll clamp down on the running game and force Wright to beat them. Anyone that thinks he’s got a shot to do that, raise your hand…

Recap: Redskins / BENGALS / Bears / PANTHERS / TITANS / COWBOYS / Browns / Dolphins / Jaguars / CHARGERS / 49ERS / BRONCOS / PATRIOTS / STEELERS

Oooh, finally – a nice mix of home teams (9) and away teams (5). You know what this means…

0-14 week, here I come!

Lata.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home