Monday, March 21, 2005

2005 NCAA Tournament Update - Into the Sweet 16

Sorry. Seriously, I can’t think of anything else to say other than “Sorry”. I guess that serves me right for gloating about a 16-0 first day of the tourney.

At this point in the tournament, with 2/3 of the field eliminated, I have 2 Final Four teams still alive (UNC & Illinois – my Championship Game pick) and of the teams in the Sweet 16, I had only picked 9 of them to make it this far. Still above .500, right?

So how did we get here? Well, let me say this: Bucknell. Where the hell is Bucknell?!? I had never heard of Bucknell before they decided to actually learn to play basketball and knock off Kansas, thereby destroying just about every bracket in the land.

Vermont – not so destructive for most people. Anyone who listened to my advice last week probably took Syracuse out of their picks and went with the Catamounts, considering that I told anyone who would listen that UVM was winning that game. In both posts (1 & 2) I told you that Vermont would take it. Naturally, I didn’t take my own advice (mostly because my brackets were already locked).

Now come the excuses: I was drinking. I was tired. The backcourt call on Syracuse’s Gerry McNamara in overtime was a bogus call that should have been a kicked ball on Vermont. But here’s the plain, simple fact: Vermont is a very good team. Syracuse is a very good team that played very, very poorly Friday night. At least I got BC out in Round Two correct…

In the interest of full disclosure, I filled out two totally different brackets before posting my picks last week. The first one was the bracket that I filled out immediately after the Selection Show last Sunday, and the one I posted was based on picks made about halfway through the day on Tuesday.

Bracket #2 – well, you already know the gory details.

Bracket #1 had Vermont winning their first game, as well as the NC State upset of UCONN yesterday. It did not account for UW-Milwaukee upsetting BC, or the basketball giant that is Bucknell taking out Kansas. Nor did it plan on Bobby Knight resurrecting his coaching abilities and dismantling Gonzaga. It did have Louisville advancing to the Final Four by beating Wake Forest in the Elite 8.

Luckily, I threw Bracket #1in the trash after filling out Bracket #2. Wouldn’t actually want to be RIGHT, now would we?

So, since I have nothing new to add to the discussion, let me finish by saying this: Go Duke.

I’ll be traveling to Texas for most of this week, and I will try to update from the DeepInAHarta. Doubtful, but who knows – I’m sure I’ll have to vent to somebody after UW-Milwaukee makes the Final Four…

Um, no.

Lata.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home