Monday, January 24, 2005

Quick Thoughts - Championship Round

Thoughts while trying to estimate how many TO references I will hear in the next two weeks...

§ It’s Day 3 of “D’s stuck in his house”. At least I can get out the front door now, and the snowplow came through around 9AM today. I spent about two hours last night at midnight chopping ice out of my gutter with a hammer. Broke the hammer – didn’t get much out of the gutter. Stupid physics...

§ So, in the last two weeks, The Patriots have held the league’s best offense to only 3 points, and scored 41 against the league’s best defense? Pretty impressive stuff. Guess THAT’S why they’re the team to beat...

§ I wish I had stuck around to write about the post-game trophy ceremony yesterday instead of rushing to publish my journal post. Not only did Bob Kraft give his annual drunken “Yeah, we won, but we really should congratulate the other team, their owners and fans for a good effort” speech, but he was presented the Lamar Hunt AFC Championship trophy by none other than Joe Namath. Broadway even called himself a fan of the Patriots, and Tom Brady in particular. I’m pretty sure Vinny’s head exploded shortly thereafter – haven’t heard from him since.

§ After watching all the replays of the final TD in yesterday’s NFC Championship game, I’ve come to the conclusion that Chad Lewis must have broken his foot earlier in the game, and just finished it off it on that final play. Nothing he did there could have broken it by itself, unless one of his teammates stepped on him and I missed it. Could be a big loss...

§ Of course, the way Eagles’ players heal from broken bones in their legs, he should be dancing on the sidelines by gametime...

§ Very glad I hedged my bets yesterday with about four different combinations of the games and over/under, each involving the Pats covering the (-3.5). At least one of them hit (Pats -3.5, Eagles -5.5, both over)...

§ Falcons showed me nothing yesterday. Just a flat performance after the half. They had the Eagles right where they wanted them heading into the locker room – Close game, fans panicking, etc. - and it was almost like they just quit after the break. Not to mention the two dropped picks – gotta take advantage boys. Just wait until next year, when Mike Vick actually understands the offense they’ve got him in...

§ If this is the last hurrah for both Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel, I say the Pats dominate Philly, probably along the lines of 34-20 or so. No last minute heroics necessary this time. (Why do I have a nagging feeling I’m going to eat those words?)

§ In reference to the title of this post – I’m estimating that the “will he or won’t he play” discussion about Terrell Owens will get played out roughly 25,381 times between now and February 6th. I say he plays, but acts mostly as a decoy. If he even tries to go over the middle at 75 or 80%, I’m sure Rodney Harrison will make him rethink the decision...

§ Poor Big Ben. He finally knows what it feels like to lose in the NFL... It’s OK kid – you’ve got a helluva future. Of course, trying to do it without Plaxico Burress and Jerome Bettis might prove a little tough next year...

§ I feel very special to have comments left by the “Big Irv” himself. Glad to have you aboard...

§ And, before I forget, I should thank Vinny for giving some more information about something I wrote about last week, MLB’s decision to try and control the fantasy baseball market. Never been one to shy away from admitting when I’m wrong, and I was wrong. Thanks Vin.

§ I have a new official theme song for my poker playing exploits... Jet’s “Look what you’ve done”. The chorus is just too perfect a description of my poker abilities:

o Oh, now look what you’ve done

You’ve made a fool of everyone...

Oh, now it seems like such fun

Until you lose what you have won...

.. Sums it up nicely.

§ I promised no more stories of my suffering horrific bad beats. However, I’m still more than willing to dole out stories of my bad beats laid down upon others... At 1AM this morning, I played in a “speed tournament”, where the blinds increase every three minutes. It’s sick. Anyway, in the span of five hands, I beat a guy by catching runner runner 8’s to make a set and break his two-pair, then busted AA twice in consecutive hands with nothing better than a 10 high. Built a river straight on one and river flush on the other. Not hands I chose to play – both in the blinds. But I’ll take them. Ended up finishing 12th of 330.

§ Actually catching a decent run in bigger tournaments recently. Finished 2nd in a one-table $100 buy-in tourney, then 12th in that speed and 23rd in a $50 multi. Decent cashes in all...

§ But, much like the song, it was all such fun – until I lost what I had won.

That’s it for today. Tried to keep it short because of the length of yesterday’s post. I’ll see you with some Super insight and maybe even – SHOCK! – a basketball post.

Gotta kill the time somehow...

Lata.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home