Wednesday, October 13, 2004

2004 ALCS Thoughts - Game 1

Thoughts while pondering “Why This Always Happens To Boston...”

So Curt Schilling has a torn tendon in his right ankle. Well, I’m certainly glad that’s cleared up. For awhile there, I was afraid it was something bad, like his head just wasn’t in the game...

Here’s my question: now that it’s painfully (and I mean PAINFULLY... I’m physically ill right now) obvious that Boston's not winning this series, how long do you think it is before Pedro begins whipping fastballs at various Yankees’ heads tonight? I say the first pitch of the game knocks Jeter down, then nothing until Sheffield’s second at-bat, when Petey throws behind him, then at him.

These are the things that happen to the Red Sox. They don’t happen to other teams. Other teams get the star pitcher they need, and he gets hurt in July, not October. Or he gets hurt in October, but it’s only a strain or a sprain, not a “torn tendon that is flapping against the bone” in the ankle of a power pitcher’s push-off leg.

Before yesterday’s Game 1, Curt Schilling met the media wearing a shirt that read “Why Not Us?” This is why.

I need a beer. And a hug.

See you next year.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home