Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Quick Thoughts - Readjusting to Eastern Standard Time

Quick Thoughts while re-adjusting to Eastern Standard Time…

n After landing at 11:48PM on Saturday night and making it home at about 2AM Sunday morning, I slept. Until 4PM. Yeah. That makes it much, much harder to adjust to life back on the East Coast…

n Of course, the 90-degree temperatures with 88% relative humidity don’t help either…

n Just 3 more weeks until I’m back in Vegas. I really think this needs to become a bi-weekly trip.

n One last note from my “vacation” that I didn’t get to mention in my last post, because it happened about 6-hours after I wrote…

So, I got bored of just sitting in my room all day Friday. Luckily, I have direct deposit on my paychecks, and one had just cleared. Hello ATM… Anyway, I took out some cash and headed for the poker room. Almost as if it was meant to be, a $2-$5 No-limit game had just been spread. I’ve written before how much I prefer the $2-$5 format to a $1-$2. I took up a seat and didn’t move for almost 12 hours, recouping at least a little of the money that bad luck and worse play had taken from me.

The best moment of the night was at about 1AM, when I turned around to see Scotty Nguyen enter the poker room at Harrah’s to an overhead announcement and a loud round of applause. Apparently he was a dealer at Harrah’s before winning the WSOP Main Event. He walked around taking photos and shaking hands. I had just scooped a rather sizeable pot at my table, knocking out the person sitting directly to my right. Scotty walked over to our table, and I invited him to sit next to me. His response? “No, too much money there (pointing to my stack, which was 2-3x bigger than anyone else at the table), and I sit in bad position (to my right).” Brought a big smile to my face as he shook my hand, patted me on the shoulder, and walked on.

n OK, back to real sports… I know I’m just a little behind here, but I gotta say this – were they hitting Titelist baseballs in the Home Run Derby, or did Bobby Abreu just announce to the world that he’s one of the best left-handed hitters in all of baseball?

n The power of Red Sox Nation is far reaching… Sitting in the Harrah’s Poker Room last Thursday it was hard not to be amazed at just how many Red Sox fans were in the tiny room with me cheering on the 17-1 demolition of the Yankees.

n Hmm… so the Red Sox trade Jay Payton and designate Alan Embree, and acquire Chad Bradford, Tony Graffanino and Adam Hyzdu, all in the past week? Well, these are certainly the blockbuster moves that Red Sox fans were expecting out of our team. Glad to see the front office is really going all-out…

n Thank God – it’s time for NFL Training Camp! I’ll have my 2005 NFL Season Preview posted in about a month. I’m holding off as long as possible so I can avoid making predictions that fall apart as soon as one player blows out a knee, like I did with my MLB Preview (Example: “The San Francisco Giants will win the National League Pennant”)

n AJ Burnett will not end up as an Oriole. He very well may end up wearing a Sox’ uniform… White Sox.

n Billy Wagner will not be a Phillie when August comes around. Jim Thome will be (NO ONE is eating that contract, not even a New York team).

n Ricky Williams will not finish the year as a Dolphin. But can’t you just see him as a Raider? I mean, would that be too perfect? Am I asking too much here? Ricky Williams, Randy Moss, and absolutely no defense. I Know, they already signed their running back. But if you were Al Davis, and you had the choice of Lamont Jordan or Ricky Williams, I mean, who would you choose?

n Speaking of the Raiders, Tim Brown retiring as a Raider was good. He was as much of a face of the franchise as they’ve had in the last 20 years. He’s a first ballot Hall-of-Famer, or at least he should be.

n Speaking of Hall-of-Famers… is there any argument now that Rafael Palmeiro is worthy of a trip to Cooperstown, five years after whenever he hangs up his spikes?

n Speaking of hanging up the spikes… Barry Larkin retired for a reason. He didn’t have anything left to offer, and he wanted to be remembered as a Cincinnati Red. He really shouldn’t come out of retirement just because the Nationals made a HUGE mistake signing Cristian Guzman to a long-term deal…

Quote of the Week:

From an ESPN.com live chat session with professional poker player Phil Gordon earlier this week:

D (Boston)

As a first time Main Event player this year, I had the distinct pleasure of sitting directly across the table from Phil Ivey for the duration of Day One. Before play and during breaks, one thing struck me - every top level pro in that day's draw (Doyle, Lederer, Juanda, D'Agostino, Seed etc.) came over to him, rather than making him come to them. Is Phil really that highly respected in the poker world? I mean, he's still just a kid, no?

PHIL GORDON

Phil Ivey is the best player in the world, bar none. While it might have been an honor to sit across from him, I doubt it was a pleasure.

D (Boston)

Point well taken.

Yep. That about sums up my 2005 WSOP Main Event experience. At least I’ll probably get some air time in October when ESPN runs the coverage…

Lata.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home