Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Quick Thoughts - June 7th

Quick Thoughts while wondering if the Tampa Bay Lightning each

get a second day with The Stanley Cup…

n Is it required that all NBA champions must have a chance to defend their title and earn the “Dynasty” rep? Think about it – from 1979-1989, only five teams even reached the Finals – Celtics, Lakers, Pistons, 76ers, and Rockets, with the Celtics and Lakers basically alternating titles, and the 76ers stealing one in 1983. 1988-89 was the Pistons’ first reign, 1990-’93 was the Bulls’ first run, ’94-’95 was the Rockets, ’96-98 was the Bulls Part II, ’99 was the Spurs’ first title (and the lockout year, so it doesn’t count), then the Lakers returned for three straight from 2000-2002. The Spurs in ’03 were solid, and if not for shaky officiating in the ’04 Lakers series, San Antonio would have defended against… Detroit. Hmm… Pistons/Spurs – that sounds familiar, no?

n For the record – Spurs in 6.

n Too little, too late for Miami last night. D-Wade’s ribs really cost them late in the 3rd and for the entire 4th quarter. Well, there’s always next year…

n I spent last night flipping between the NBA, the Red Sox (awful game) and the Yankees on ESPN2. Certainly time well spent… Actually, I watched the entire Yankees’ at-bat in the 5h inning. They worked three straight walks out of Doug Davis, then promptly proceeded to blow the opportunity with a strikeout and a double-play by – who else? – Jason Giambi. These are the things that happen when you’re on a downhill slide.

n Not that the Sox looked any better last night…

n Rockies’ presumptive NL ROY 2B Clint Barmes broke his collarbone carrying groceries yesterday… there’s a joke in there somewhere, and it probably involves Bill Parcells.

n I’m officially a paid writer. Got my first check from DocSports.com for my 2 articles on pre-season NFL betting lines. That’s it – I’m headed for the big-time baby!

n Is anybody else excited about the prospect of a salary-cap free NFL in 2007? Here’s a question – who’s the #1 free agent (assuming we exclude all rookies from this season and the next three)? That’d be an interesting discussion. I know which way I’d go, but I’d like to hear what you think – e-mail me with your thoughts…

n The Patriots just signed their 8th safety yesterday – Antuan Edwards. Let me repeat that – The Patriots currently have EIGHT safeties on their roster. I’m all for redundancy and having competent (and plentiful) backups, but 8?

n OK, OK, I know, calm down… Just take another big sip of this Kool-Aid over here and repeat after me: “Super Bowl 36, Super Bowl 38, Super Bowl 39. Super Bowl 36, Super Bowl 38, Super Bowl 39. Super Bowl 36, Super Bowl 38, Super Bowl 39…” Feel better yet?

Mom’s quote of the week

Actually from last week, but I had nothing more to say after posting early on Tuesday, so this got pushed back.

Last week in New England, we suffered from six days of rain and an average high temperature of about 30 degrees below normal. It was actually warmer on New Year’s Day in Boston than it was on average last week. Prompting my mother, while watching the news and seeing another day of rain, to yell out:

“If I didn’t know better, I’d swear that the damned Sun exploded and they’re just not telling us. I mean, if it did happen, what could they do about it anyway?”

That’s right Ma – it’s always good to back up a crazy rant with some diluted logic…

Lata.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home