Monday, April 18, 2005

Random Thoughts - April 18th

Random Thoughts while trying to decide who will end up as a bigger

First-round bust: Aaron Rodgers or Ryan Leaf…

n BIG STEIN’S ANGRY! Big Stein doesn’t like what’s happening with his team! Seriously – who didn’t see this one coming? The Yankees are in dead last place in the division (just like last season), so George feels the need to fire up his team. It’s almost to the point of being a scripted tirade. Steinbrenner calls someone out (in this case, the entire $200M roster), and “miraculously” the team goes on a run. Not surprisingly, the Yankees next 5 games are against mediocre teams – 2 home games against the D-Rays, 3 on the road in Toronto. A 5-game winning streak isn’t out of the question – I think it’s almost to be expected.

n One positive that Yankees fans can take out of the 3-game sweep – at least Rivera didn’t cost you any of the games…

n Speaking of Yankees’ fans… Got the chance to hang out with some of the college buddies on Saturday – most had made a surprise pilgrimage from New Jersey to hang out for the weekend. A good time was had by all, including a random visit to Fenway Park for the Sox/D-Rays game (Manny – 2-3, 2HR, 6RBI – not a bad day at the office). Unfortunately, I was forced to leave the game early for the first time in my life. Unforgivable, I know…

n Random Fenway moment: the seat I was put wedged into was broken, as was the seat next to mine (Adjacent seats at Fenway share a common bolt to hold them together through the armrest. Ours broke off.) Three innings into the game, after the seat fell apart every time I stood up, the guy behind me made a suggestion that I wish I’d listened to. “Hey, kid (I hate being called kid at this point in my life)… Why not just rip the seat off and sell it on eBay as ‘Fenway memorabilia’”. Not such a bad idea.

n Bud Light’s “Mr. Overzealous foul-ball catcher” – very nice. “Why pay for a souvenir, when you can fight for one?”

n Um, who is the Marlins’ closer? Seriously – has he even pitched yet this year?

n There’s talk that the 2007 NBA All-Star game could be held in Vegas…who else thinks that this could lead to a record number of illegitimate births between September and December of ’07?

n Last night’s Braves/Phillies game was a fantasy dream scenario for me. I had both starting pitchers (Mike Hampton and Brett Myers) in one league. This league doesn’t penalize for losses, so the only thing better than both pitchers going 8 shutout innings would have been a 1-0 finish in 9 innings, with complete games from both guys. As it stands, the dual shutout effort lowered my team ERA almost ¾ of a point.

NFL Draft update: I’m not posting a Mock Draft this year like I did in ’04, simply because there are absolutely NO clear-cut decisions to be made this weekend. Any player could go at any time. There’s no obvious #1, meaning that every pick is up in the air. I will probably throw up a quick post on Friday just before the draft when things become clearer. I’m not even watching the draft on Saturday – I’ll be hanging sheetrock and listening to the TV three rooms away.

Personally, I think the Niners will cave in and take Aaron Rodgers #1 because he put up big numbers and he’s local, meaning they can probably sign him quickly.

To me, Alex Smith looks like the better QB. I still say San Francisco’s best option would be to take Mike Williams or Braylen Edwards #1 overall and then get a QB with the #1 pick in the 2nd round (Jason Campbell, Adrian MacPherson, or Charlie Frye). A young nucleus of Kevan Barlow, Mike Williams and Jason Campbell could be very good for years to come. Having a solid player at each of those positions can lead to good things.

Indy has the same thing, with Manning, Harrison and James. Manning is a stud QB, no doubt. Harrison has the best hands in the league, but might not be such a top receiver with a different QB. And James probably wouldn’t be ¾ as good as he is on Indy unless he had the stud QB and top-tier receiver to take the pressure off the ground game. Maybe in Philly – but that’s why no one has made an offer for him.

Anyway, that’s it for today. More to come later in the week.

Lata.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home