Wednesday, April 13, 2005

QUick Thoughts - WSOP Entry & MLB

Quick Thoughts while looking for a hotel in Vegas for

the WSOP for under $200 a night...

- Thank you all for the congratulations and kind words about my WSOP entry. The event is still two and a half months away, and I find myself unable to concentrate on anything else. This may not be a good thing. It makes driving particularly difficult... I will probably be playing more poker than normal (or than healthy) in the coming weeks to keep my game up, and certainly watching as much of it as possible on the television, in the slim hopes that I actually get the chance to play against the pros I watch.

- I think the Cubs are in a lot of trouble if the Kerry Wood that showed up today is the Kerry Wood they get for the whole season.

- I also think the Cubs are in good shape if the Mark Prior that showed up today is the Mark Prior that they get for the rest of the season.

- I’m pretty certain that every starting pitcher on the Marlins will have to undergo Tommy John surgery if Jack McKeon doesn’t wake up and realize he has a bullpen. These innings are nice in the early season, but they’re not necessary. In September, when their starting rotation consists of AAA call-ups and waiver wire wonders, they’ll be looking back at all these complete game shutouts and wishing they had happened on September 13th rather than April 13th...

- If the Sox want to have any shot of even reaching the playoffs again this year, they’re going to need Curt Schilling to step up, BIG, for the rest of the year. Otherwise, they’ll either have to pack it in for 2005 or else mortgage the next five years and get Ben Sheets...

- If the Mets are going to rely on Pedro to throw complete game, 2-hit shutouts to get all of their wins this year, they might be in trouble. Sure, it could happen. And a pink elephant could fly out of my ass, carjack a Yugo and drive to the Mexican border for tequila shooters, too. There’s probably a better shot of that than of Pedro throwing even three more complete games this year.

- I have no idea where that came from. My mind is still stuck on the first thought in this list...

- I’m stunned that the Nationals and Braves have identical records, even this early in the season. 5-4 ain’t much, but I expected the Nats to start at about 2-7.

- Milwaukee is atop the NL Central at 5-3. Somewhere, Bud Selig is smiling (and shredding steroid documentation)...

- I think Toronto might just end up like the ’03 Royals – disrespected all season long, then in late August their bandwagon will get too heavy and the wheels will come off.

That’s it. I need to go back to scouring internet travel sites for a reasonable hotel that isn’t either on airport property or six miles from the Rio.

Lata.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home