Tuesday, April 05, 2005

More early returns from MLB '05

More thoughts from the beginning of the 2005 MLB season and the end of the 2004-05 NCAA Basketball season…

- UNC over Illinois 75-70…. I was close. Like I said, Irvdawg, I’m wasn’t trying to be bold; I was trying to be right.

- It was nice to see Roy get the job done last night and not succumb to yet another amazing Illinois comeback. Helluva game. Glad I stayed up to watch it, even if I’m subsisting on nothing more than coffee and soda today…

- Mark it down – Michigan State will win the tourney in 2005-’06. Assuming Tom Izzo doesn’t leave…

- WEEI is streaming again… Hallelujah. Now I can listen to the early Red Sox games too (Like today @ 1PM…). Unfortunately, I think MLB.com owns the rights to all internet broadcasts of baseball games, so I might get screwed, yet again.

- It’s been unbelievable listening to people calling in and complaining about the Red Sox over the last two days… One guy actually suggested that if the Red Sox had gotten their World Series rings on Sunday (In Yankee Stadium, mind you), that they would have been more motivated and clearly would have won the game. I need to take a second and apologize for Red Sox fans everywhere, because there are a few among us that make everyone else look like idiots. One man does not speak for us all (thank God). That includes me.

- Some notes from Day 2 of the MLB season:

o Pedro looks good. If only he could start every game in the 2nd inning…

o More accurately, if only the Mets had a viable option in the bullpen…

o Yes, I have Braden Looper as a closer in one league. Shut up…

o Adam Dunn. Wow. He’s a monster, and he’s on pace for 324 home runs and 324 strikeouts this year… What’s scary is that the way this guy swings, 250 K’s might not be out of the question…

o It’ll be fun to see how many people rush out to add Dmitri Young and Matt Lawton in fantasy leagues this year.

o I had a choice to make in all of my leagues last week. I lost both Juan Gonzalez and Eric Gagne to the DL. I dropped Juan Gone outright in two leagues and put Gagne on the shelf for two weeks, but I had to fill in both roster spots. I looked very closely at two players for the spots, but decided against both of them, choosing instead to add Tom Gordon and Noah Lowry. The two I passed on? Matt Lawton and Mark Buehrle. Lawton’s Opening Day line: 3-4, 2R, 1.500 OPS. Mark Buehrle: 8IP, 2H, 0ER, BB, 5K and the win. Beautiful. Great scouting D…

o Sammy Sosa and Jason Giambi look poised to become the most expensive singles hitters in baseball history…

o Speaking of Giambi – there is a rule on the books that if a batter does not make an effort to get out of the way of a pitched ball, at the umpire’s discretion, the batter does not have to be awarded first base if the pitch hits him. Now, watching Sunday’s game, you can’t tell me that Giambi couldn’t have gotten out of the way of at least one of those pitches, if not both. Sorry, had to vent…

o Richie Sexson – nice start. Now just don’t take any check swings this season, OK buddy?

o Sorry, gonna take a break for a second – Curt Schilling is making his 2005 radio debut on EEI… give me about 10 minutes…

o

o

o … Still listening …

o

o

o

o … Hmm, just found out Schilling actually first hurt his ankle in May of ’04 in the Pokey Reese 2HR game… and he still won 20 games…

o

o

o

o Wow, I got totally sidetracked here. Sorry, where were we? Oh, right, MLB thoughts…

o I think the A’s might have to tweak their offense a little. Barry Zito looked good yesterday, and the A’s still couldn’t get anything done for him…

o Although, isn’t this their formula every year? Look bad for a month, look good for a couple months, look unstoppable for a month (usually August), then look bad again for a month (usually October)…

o The Cardinals open up their season today… I expect about 12 runs scored, preferably all by Reggie Sanders (my starting left fielder in one league today)

o Matt Clement pitches today for Boston in Yankee Stadium, a place he’s never been as a pro… gulp…

o Gonna have to cut this short for today… it’s lunchtime and I have other things to focus on. Like making my radio get enough reception to listen to the Sox today…

And the Quote of the Week:

Actually a week or so old, from the March 28th edition of SI.com’s “10 Spot”:

“In a bid to increase revenue, the Red Sox plan to build an ice rink on top of Fenway Park's field to hold college hockey games and public skating sessions during baseball's off-season. The reigning world champs will pattern the rink after the huge and immensely profitable ice surface that opened last October in Hell.”

Fun fun… all in good fun.

Lata.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home