Tuesday, April 12, 2005

World Series Success

OK, Let me explain why my “2005 Red Sox Home Opener running journal” stopped after the fourth inning.

I got bored. No other reason than that. The game was 7-1 Sox and I got bored with watching, so I made a snap decision.

It paid off.

On the same day that I was able to celebrate my team’s World Series success, I also got the opportunity to celebrate a little World Series success of my own…

Two months ago, I uninstalled all online poker software from my every computer I own because I was tired of getting outdrawn by people who would play any two cards because they knew eventually they’d get lucky. I can beat good players – I can’t beat people who get lucky. No one can. That’s why it’s called “luck”.

Somewhere around the fifth inning yesterday, while trying to find a less uncomfortable position to sit in on my couch in order to take the pressure off my hip, I decided to look at my bank account online. Much to my surprise, I had an extra $50 in my account that I had not accounted for, plus an $80 check that is hopefully floating around my car somewhere. I decided “What the hell – I’ll give it another go”.

I re-installed the software for ParadisePoker.com, the only top-level site I’ve found that hosts 1-on-1 tournaments at which I’m pretty good. I deposited $40, and away I went.

I played a $10+1 head’s up and won. Plus $9. I played another $10+$1 head’s up and won. Plus $18. I played a $20+2 head’s up and won. Plus $36, $76 in my account. I played one more $10+1 and won. Plus $45 - $85 in the account.

Then I looked at the bigger tournaments around, and I found a WSOP satellite tournament. For every 50 entries, they awarded 1 seat into another satellite later in the evening. $20+2 entry. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize that there were re-buys and add-ons allowed until it was too late.

There were only 64 entries, but there were over 100 rebuys and add-ons (including a combined 3 by me, leaving my account pretty empty), meaning that the top 3 finishers got the satellite entry, and 4th – 6th place got paid in cash ($128, $192, $320).

Truth be told, I wanted to finish fourth. I wanted the guaranteed $320 rather than have to sit through another tournament for three more hours. Unfortunately, I didn’t get my wish.

I finished first.

45 minutes later, I was in a $1000+$100 buy-in tournament having only spent $82 in the satellite entry. There were 15 entries total in this particular satellite tournament (9 people actually paid the $1100 entry), meaning that the top four places got paid, with #1 getting the $10,200 entry fee to the 2005 WSOP main event in Vegas in July, along with $1400 cash to pay for the flight and hotel and a $600 entry into the Paradise Masters II tournament in May (with a guaranteed prize pool of $1.5M).

Three hours later, I booked my flight to Vegas.

Funny thing is, I tried to un-register from the first satellite. I didn’t want to play a re-buy tourney, and I certainly didn’t want to play for nothing more than another tournament entry. Then I started hitting hands. Then I started playing people better than I’ve ever played them online. Then I got a big lead and backed off, knowing that I only needed to finish top three…

In the second satellite, I jumped out to an early lead after flopping trip-9’s before drawing out the quads on the river (I was behind to start, 9-9 vs. J-J, my only outdraw of the day). With 7 people left in the tournament, I held almost 55% of the total chips in play. I just couldn’t miss.

I thought I was having a good poker weekend when I busted up a cash game in Chelsea for a couple hundred bucks before having to leave so I could get to bed for work the next day. I guess this qualifies as better.

I would love to have every single one of you come out and watch me play, especially if I make it to the end. July 7th – July 15th. Yes, it’s 9 days long – this is what happens when you’re anticipating 6000+ players in a tournament (and over a $10M first prize, to boot).

I guess you’ll just have to wait until ESPN airs the coverage. But if you see me driving around my new Viper in mid-July, you’ll know why…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home