Tuesday, April 12, 2005

2005 Red Sox Home Opener

Rather than write 3,000+ words in one long post about the Red Sox’ 2005 Home Opener and World Series ceremony, I decided to break it into two different posts. This post is dedicated to the game itself and whatever is on my mind as the game goes along. This Post is a 1,500-word running journal of the Pre-Game ceremonies. Enjoy...

First Inning:

Top:

Derek Jeter: 1 pitch, 1 out. Nice start.

A-Rod strikes out. This is a perfect start to the day.

Sheffield Walks. Well, there goes the perfect game...

Matsui with the K. Wow, Wake just made him look baaaaad...

More Commercials. Time to look at the fantasy teams...

Bottom:

Damon leads-off with a single. There goes Mussina’s no-hitter...

Damnit – thought Nixon got all of that one. Gotta pull that ball in Fenway Trot...

Good to see that the Governor, James Taylor, Ben Affleck and others were able to get tickets to this game. Wouldn’t want them to be left out in the cold or anything...

Manny just doesn’t look like he’s seeing the ball well right now...

More Commercials. Guess it’s a good time to mention this – I’m on eBay right now. Keep in mind that, in real time, it is just between the first and second innings. There are currently 41 items listed that include the words “Red Sox 2005 Opening Day Tickets” in the listing. Subtract 20% of those as people selling pins, hats, shirts, etc. and that still means that more than 30 people were too stupid to time their auctions so that they would end before the game to which they were selling tickets. And that includes this listing with two ridiculously nice seats for the low, low price of $3,800. What does this all mean? I have no idea. Just thought it was interesting.

Second Inning:

Top:

I had no idea that today was both Trot Nixon & Jason Varitek’s birthday. Glad we cleared that up. These are the things I really need to know for barroom conversations in the future.

Wake’s knuckler is really moving today...

Jason Giambi is batting. This should be interesting...

Strike Three. Good thing too, because Mark Bellhorn was essentially playing right field for Giambi’s at-bat.

Bottom:

Kevin Millar’s up. Hey, that reminds me – anybody know when that “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy” episode with the Red Sox is airing, so I can be sure to hang myself a few hours earlier?

A-Rod boots Millar’s grounder, recovers, and still throws him out. If he doesn’t make that play, he probably gets a standing ovation every time he bats for the rest of the day.

Wow. Mueller gets drilled, then Mirabelli drills Mussina’s first pitch over the Monster. Guess that counts as excitement.

Sorry. I should mention that I’m on about 327 Motrin muscle relaxers to try and make my legs feel better. And since the intro to the game was so emotionally draining, the game has a lot to live up to. A Red Sox win isn’t going to be enough – they need to win in spectacular fashion – either a 25-0 blowout or a 9th inning comeback off Rivera. Otherwise, I’m just going to bed.

Bellhorn struck out. Stunned silence from the crowd. I don’t think anyone expected that to happen...

Third Inning:

Top:

Doug Mirabelli always holds his mask when he fields a pop-up. Isn’t that like the first fundamental rule of fielding as a catcher – toss the mask? Sorry, I’m nit-picking again...

Jerry Remy is repeating what I just typed. I swear I could be a great color announcer for a Major League team.

Again, fundamental baseball. There’s a reason that pitchers not named Greg Maddux don’t often field their positions, and Tim Wakefield just illustrated it for us... Not a big deal, since the ball landed foul and Womack lined out to right.

Anytime Derek Jeter takes a called strike, he gets a pained expression on his face, like he can’t believe that an umpire would question his batting eye. Again, I’m not going anywhere with this. Just thought I’d bring it up. That, plus he has the whitest teeth I’ve ever seen. Almost reflective. Scary even. In any event, he struck out, so he does still, in fact, suck.

OK, let me add one possible outcome of the game that I would find acceptable – no-hitter. Wake’s going good through three...

Also, while I have a second, I’m going to link to my friend Dan’s blog. He’s got a pretty funny post up there from a couple days ago regarding hot chicks and rainstorms. Worth a look...

Bottom:

They just showed an interview with Dave Roberts from the pre-game ceremony in which he gave what is inevitably going to be my “Quote of the Week

Trot still hasn’t learned to pull the ball, but at least he got this shot to center to fall in...

Hmm... David Ortiz is up with 2 on and 1 out. I know what I expect to happen here... let’s see if it does.

Nope. Manny & Ortiz just walked back-to-back on 9 pitches total. Maybe Moose isn’t on his A-game today...

Bases loaded for Millar. This is either going to be great or horrible. Not sure which...

GREAT! Liner back up the middle (that must’ve been scary for Mussina) to plate two runs. 4-0, and I’m feeling a little better.

Damnit. This is why I hate Derek Jeter. He’s just too good. Renteria just hit a rocket line-drive. Jeter simply stepped to his left, leapt up and snagged it, then flipped to second to double up David Ortiz as if it was no big deal. Helluva play. And I hate him for it.

Fourth Inning:

Top:

Oh good – Bud Selig is joining Don & Jerry in the booth for a half-inning. Maybe they’ll let him do some play-by-play too...

Aw hell. There goes the no-hitter with a bloop to right off the bat of A-Rod. That’s it – I’m going to bed.

Wow, Bud Selig voluntarily brought up the steroid hearings. That’s pretty surprising. Surprisingly, Gary Sheffield is batting while they discuss this...

I’m not going to mention the blunder that just allowed A-Rod to score from second on an infield single...

Hmm... Selig hurriedly leaves just before Jason Giambi’s at-bat. Coincidence?

Bottom:

Wow. Doug Mirabelli just struck out looking on a NASTY curveball. He started walking back to the dugout before the ball even hit Posada’s glove.

Hey, Mark Bellhorn DIDN’T strike out! Now that’s surprising...

“A-Rod BOOTS IT!” Well that sounds familiar... and a nice ovation for Rodriguez as well...

See, this is what happens when you can’t play defense (and when the umpire won’t give you a pretty obvious strike three call). 2 more runs on a Sheffield error and a 6-1 error. And the requisite “AAAAAA-Rod!” chants.

Manny just drove home Trot Nixon, as Don Orsillo & Jerry Remy receive their World Series rings. Nice touch.

We’re well on our way to that 25-run blowout I described earlier...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home