Thursday, June 23, 2005

Mea Culpa!

Mea Culpa!

With most of the teams in Major League Baseball having completed 70+ games in this baseball season, I’d say there’s a pretty good sample size to determine just how bad my Preseason Predictions were.

I take no responsibility for injury-induced mistakes (like picking the Giants to iwn the National League Pennant), but everything else, well, oops…

American League East

Original Prediction

Current Standings

Yankees

96-66 (.593)

37-34 (.521 – 3rd place)

Red Sox

93-69 (.574)

41-30 (.577 – 2nd place)

Devil Rays

80-82 (.494)

25-47 (.347 – 5th place)

Orioles

78-84 (.482)

42-29 (.592 – 1st place)

Blue Jays

70-92 (.432)

36-36 (.500 – 4th place)

Biggest Mistake: Tough choice between picking Baltimore 4th or Tampa Bay 3rd… In my defense – wait, nevermind. There’s no defense for either of those.

Close Enough: Glad to see I know the home team pretty well…Had them finishing 14 over .500; they’ve already got 11 of those 14.

New Predictions: I’m still not a believer in Baltimore. Sorry, but Bruce Chen and Sidney Ponson just don’t cut it for me. Now, if they go out and get a Jason Schmidt before the deadline, maybe I’ll change my mind. But for now, let’s make the new order…

Boston

Baltimore (wild card)

New York

Toronto

Tampa Bay

American League Central

Original Prediction

Current Standings

Indians

93-69 (.574)

37-33 (.529 – 3rd place)

Twins

88-74 (.543)

38-31 (.551 – 2nd place)

White Sox

82-80 (.506)

49-22 (.690 – 1st place) *

Tigers

73-89 (.451)

35-33 (.515 – 4th place)

Royals

60-102 (.370)

25-46 (.352 – 5th place)

Biggest Mistake: Buying the Indians’ hype… Thinking that the White Sox didn’t have the starting pitching to contend (let alone to have the best record in the majors)…

Close Enough: Well, somehow I did place three of the five teams in the correct order, only reversing Chicago & Cleveland. KC is actually worse then I thought they’d be (and yes, I realize that I originally predicted the Royals to go 60-112, which would be pretty sad in a 162-game season. Math is not my strong suit. I used a calculator to figure out that Toronto’s 36-36 record put them at .500 so far)

New Predictions: It’s a battle for second place right now, and choosing to avoid the “instant history” that is so common in today’s sports reporting, I’ve made my predictions ignoring the current losing streaks of the Indians (3) and Twins (4):

Chicago

Minnesota

Detroit

Cleveland

Kansas City

American League West

Original Prediction

Current Standings

Angels

94-68 (.580)

42-29 (.592 – 1st place)

A’s

91-71 (.562)

31-40 (.437 – 4th place)

Mariners

82-80 (.506)

32-38 (.457 – 3rd place)

Rangers

74-88 (.457)

37-33 (.529 – 2nd place)

Biggest Mistake: Re-reading “Moneyball” before writing my Preseason Predictions… Completely underrating Orel Hersheiser as a pitching coach…

Close Enough: The Angels. Wow. Even losing last year’s MVP for a few weeks, they’ve managed to keep an awful nice season moving forward.

New Predictions: Anaheim’s not a guaranteed winner, yet, but Texas is really the only team with a chance to catch them. Once again, I’ve seen too much of the old Chan Ho Park & Kenny Rogers to believe that the new versions are the real deal. Especially in that ballpark…

Anaheim

Texas

Seattle

Oakland

National League East

Original Prediction

Current Standings

Braves

100-62 (.617)

38-33 (.535 – 3rd place)

Marlins

89-73 (.549)

34-34 (.500 – 4th place)

Mets

89-73 (.549)

34-37 (.479 – 5th place)

Phillies

82-80 (.506)

39-33 (.542 –2nd place)

Nationals

61-101 (.377)

42-30 (.583 – 1st place)

Biggest Mistake: I really just have nothing to add to the discussion of the Washington Nationals. I don’t think they’ll be very good. That about covers it.” Oh yeah; dead-on-balls accurate there, D…

Close Enough: Nothing. I couldn’t have screwed up this division any more if I’d written the predictions drunk off my ass. In fact, looking up at that “Original Prediction” column, I’m not 100% sure that I wasn’t drunk off my ass…

New Predictions: Can the Nats keep this up? Well, I still think that Atlanta takes this division in the end. Aside from Livan Hernandez, I can’t name one starting pitcher on the Washington roster, but who cares?! I’ve got Nats fever!

Washington

Atlanta

Philadelphia

Florida

New York

National League Central

Original Prediction

Current Standings

Cardinals

102-60 (.630)

45-26 (.634 – 1st place) *

Cubs

86-76 (.531)

36-34 (.514 – 2nd place)

Brewers

84-78 (.519)

32-39 (.451 – 4th place)

Reds

82-80 (.506)

29-43 (.403 – 6th place)

Astros

77-85 (.475)

31-39 (.443 – 5th place)

Pirates

68-94 (.420)

32-38 (.457 – 3rd place)

Biggest Mistake: I think I gave the Reds a little too much credit for signing Eric Milton, Rich Aurilia, and Joe Randa, and for not dealing away Wily Mo Pena. I still think that the Brewers will end up in 3rd place, and maybe even give the Cubs a run for second.

Close Enough: Well, the Cardinals were just about a no-brainer, and the Cubs’ pitching (when/if it’s ever healthy) just about guarantees them 70-75 wins between Prior/Wood/Zambrano/Maddux. Anything they get from the “fill-in” guys is gravy…

New Predictions: Like Chicago, the Cards have this division wrapped up. Aside from a tornado wiping out Busch Stadium forcing a 3-month road-trip, I don’t see them coughing up this lead. Hell, even a 3-month road trip would probably result in a winning record…

St. Louis

Chicago (wild card)

Milwaukee

Pittsburgh

Houston

Cincinnati

National League West

Original Prediction

Current Standings

Giants

92-70 (.568)

30-40 (.429 – 4th place)

Padres

88-74 9.543)

40-32 (.556 – 1st place)

Dodgers

82-80 (.506)

34-37 (.479 – 3rd place)

D-Backs

74-88 (.457)

36-37 (.493 – 2nd place)

Rockies

66-96 (.407)

22-48 (.314 – 5th place)

Biggest Mistake: Assuming Barry Bonds wouldn’t try to hide from the harsh light of steroids. Oops.

Close Enough: if San Francisco’s age catches up to them, the upstart Padres will be right there to take the division reins.” Yep… (Patting myself on the back…)

New Predictions: If Barry comes back at the All-Star Break, and Brian Sabean decides to hold onto guys like Jason Schmidt and Moises Alou, The Giants could make a run. Considering how weak this division is, it’s not completely out of the question. But Barry’s not coming through that door, and Schmidt (at the very least) is probably walking out:

San Diego

Los Angeles

Arizona

San Francisco

Colorado

Awards & Playoffs

Original Prediction

New Prediction

AL MVP

Manny Ramirez or Adrian Beltre

Dark Horse: Travis Hafner

Miguel Tejada or Vlad Guerrero

Dark Horse: Mark Teixeira

NL MVP

Albert Pujols or Carlos Beltran

Dark Horse: Adam Dunn

Albert Pujols or Derek Lee

Dark Horse: Jose Guillen

AL Cy Young (Oops…)

Randy Johnson

Dark Horse: Rich Harden

Jon Garland or Roy Halladay

Dark Horse: Matt Clement

NL Cy Young

Pedro Martinez or Tim Hudson

Dark Horse: Oliver Perez

Dontrelle Willis or Roger Clemens

Dark Horse: Pedro Martinez

AL Manager of the Year

Eric Wedge or Mike Scoscia

Dark Horse: Lou Pinella

Ozzie Guillen or Lee Mazilli

Dark Horse: Terry Francona

NL Manager of the Year

Bobby Cox or Felipe Alou

Dark Horse: Ned Yost

Frank Robinson or Bruce Bochy

Dark Horse: Dusty Baker

AL Home Run Champ

Alex Rodriguez or Vlad Guerrero

Dark Horse: David Ortiz

Alex Rodriguez or Mark Teixeira

Dark Horse: Manny Ramirez

NL Home Run Champ

Albert Pujols or Carlos Delgado

Dark Horse: Barry Bonds

Adam Dunn or Derek Lee

Dark Horse: Albert Pujols

I still say the Red Sox take the AL Pennant, now going through the White Sox and Angels. But the National League looks a little different than it did in February. St. Louis to the Series, after eliminating San Diego and then Chicago.

Poor Chicagoans. Looks like they could have two teams ousted in the LCS this year…

WORLD SERIES

Not quite as bad as last year, but let’s go with….

Boston over St. Louis (6 games)

Yeah. I think that works for me…

Quick Thoughts while making a packing list for the WSOP in 13 days…

n Like I said, Spurs in 7 J

n Guess this means I’ll actually have to watch the basketball game tonight. The Red Sox are on a travel day, there’s no hockey, and it’s Thursday night – what the hell else am I supposed to watch?

n Which reminds me… is it football season yet?

n Boy, that Indians bandwagon that was making stops all over the city looks like if blew four flats this week, huh? (I wish you could all see the grin on my face as I type that)

n Swear to God – I thought that NESN was playing a late April-fool’s joke on their viewers on Tuesday as they kept flashing scores on the screen, and the Yankees went from down 10-2 to up 20-11 in the course of an hour. When they finally showed the highlights, I mean, wow. I think I could have hit a couple out off of Tampa’s pitchers that night…

n Two links for today before I end this…

o http://budlight.whipnet.com - Very possibly the greatest website of all time. You can thank me later…

o http://www.paradisepoker.com/promotions/2005/wild_las_vegas - just added to the list of “celebrities” hosting my WSOP pre-party at The Palms, it’s America’s favorite pseudo-celebrities, Mr. & Mrs. “Boston” Rob Mariano! Boy, I’m even more excited now! Forget the former Playmate of the Year, or the ex-supermodel turned TV Show host who were the original hosts; I can’t wait to go hang out with Boston Rob, a guy who I remember sitting on a couch with as he ate Cheerios, drank beers, and watched “Baseball Tonight” waiting for the party to start. I swear he’s got a horseshoe shoved about 6-inches deep in his ass…

Quote of the Week:

If you’re not a golfer and/or a child of the 80’s, you might not find this as funny as my friend Jay and I did. Oh well…

While trying to get a read on Jay’s 25-foot par putt on the 6th green at a local golf course last weekend:

Me: “So what do you think it’s gonna do?”

Jay: “Um, move. A lot”

Me: “Looks like it’s uphill, downhill, then left and then back right. It’s like the Nintendo cheat code of putts.”

Jay: (unable to putt for a minute from the laughing)

Me: (thinking to myself) “Well, my work is done…”

Lata.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home