Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Let's all get Juiced!!!!

Alright everybody, I have a confession to make. I hope you’re all sitting down, because I don’t want to shock you too badly or have you end up in the hospital or something (trust me – I’ve seen first hand how young residents handle stressful situations)…

Ready?

For the past six years, I have taken bodybuilding “supplements”. Yep. I mean, you don’t get to be a physical specimen like me with just hard work and dedication. It takes that little extra something, a little boost from a bottle to get over the top. Seriously, take a look at me sometime. You think that my chiseled frame came from years of lifting and running? Hell no. I had to supplement my daily training regimen with my bottle of “special sauce” to get to where I am today. And these supplements helped to create the body you see before you (or you would, were I standing in the room with you right now).

Now, I realize that some of you might have instantly lost respect for me (if any of you ever had it in the first place), so to cover my ass (no pun intended), let me implicate some others in this so that my story is not just a confession, but also an intriguing finger-pointing session. I personally witnessed many of my closest friends taking the same “supplements” at the same time I did. Jay, Kurto, Frank, Tim, Chin, Tex, Irvdawg, Kirton, Shroom, Knob, maybe 80-85% of my friends total – all of them added a little something to their daily routine to get to where they are today. And we did it together. In some cases, I even administered the “supplements” to them during large public gatherings.

Now, personally, I don’t think there was anything wrong with what I did. In fact, I think that using these supplements enhanced our lives, and although I can’t speak for all of my friends, I know that I wouldn’t be where I am today without having taken them.

But here’s the thing – now people are saying that some of these supplements should be considered dangerous, especially in the quantities and the way that we took them. Maybe even declared illegal. I don’t think so. I think that, when used responsibly, these supplements can really help advance a young man’s life, maybe even catapulting him to a new level of success.

And if they have ill effects later on in life, well then we’ll deal with those when we reach to that later time in life. Because we live for the now; not thirty years from now. As long as I’m built the way I want to be, and I experience things the way they should be experienced, then to hell with the consequences.

Give me my supplements!

Of course, my supplement comes in a 12-oz bottle labeled “Budweiser”, “Coors”, or even “Miller”, but what’s the difference, right?

So obviously I had to take a break from getting all of my information together for my upcoming 2005 MLB Preview post (it might get broken into two posts – haven’t decided yet) to discuss the hot topic of the week, Jose Canseco’s new book: “Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant ‘Roids, Smash Hits and How Baseball Got Big”.

The above “confession” was more a way to try and keep the mood light around the topic, because there’s really nothing in the discussion that we haven’t all heard before. Aside from Jose telling us that he believes steroids are a good thing, and that when properly used they can really enhance the quality of life; we’ve heard it all before.

We’ve heard that Mark McGwire used. We’ve heard that Jason Giambi used (hell – HE said it). Who in Major League Baseball couldn’t be accused of juicing? David Wells jumps to mind (actually, I don’t think David Wells jumps to anywhere…)

Listening to Canseco give a 45-minute interview on WEEI last night, I couldn’t help but think back to a movie I saw a few years back. After just about every question, Jose prefaced his answer with something along the lines of “well, when people read the book”, or “Well, I covered all of this in my book”, or “The Book is great; people should really go out and read it.” It reminded me of a scene from EdTV, where Woody Harrelson (as Ed’s brother) writes a book called “My Brother Pissed On Me”, but when he’s asked to discuss it, his only answers are “yes”, “no”, and “It’s all in the book”. Life imitates art, eh…

Anyway, I guess my point is this – tell us something we don’t already know or suspect. Give us some kind of proof other than the word of a player who, admittedly, is angry with the media for depicting him as an egotistical prima Dona that just wanted to be back in the spotlight again. Because last time I checked, the whole “He said, He said” thing just doesn’t hold up in court. In the court of public opinion, maybe. But if all Canseco wanted to do was drag peoples’ names through the mud, then why should we believe him at all? Anybody can throw names against a wall and see what sticks. Prove it to me.

That’s all. I’ll try to throw some quick-hit thoughts up here next week before the ’05 MLB Preview.

Lata.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home