Saturday, June 21, 2008

2008 WSoP Post 5 - Thank God for consistency

There are certain things that you can count on for every trip to Las Vegas. You’re going to be hot. You’re going to be dehydrated. You’re probably going to drink. You’re probably going to gamble. And when it’s all said and done, barring catastrophe you’ll probably be sad to leave.

For poker players, there are a few other things to bank on. For example – you’re going to give and take a handful of bad beats. You’re probably going to play against a ton of local pros who can see you coming before you even walk in the building.

And if you’re in town for a weekend, you can absolutely count on finding a ton of rich European kids dumping money at the Wynn poker room.

Sometimes, it’s nice to know these things in advance.

After killing a couple hours laying around the hotel room today, taking a shower and watching some Euro Cup soccer on ESPN (no, seriously. Mid-day TV sucks), I headed out to the monorail and back to center strip. Just like Thursday, I walked through the Harrah’s poker room on my way to the Mirage room just looking for a decent $2/$5 cash game or a reasonable tournament. After finding absolutely nothing (it’s ridiculous how bad the cash games are in this city right now. There are three rooms – TOTAL – that I’ve found with more than one consistent $2/$5 table running; Bellagio, Caesar’s, Wynn. That’s it) I grabbed a cab ride to the Wynn and hoped to catch people busting out of their 2pm tournament and looking to hit a cash game.

I had no idea.

It might have taken an hour and a half to finally get a seat, but it was worth it. I walked into one of the biggest action, biggest chip moving tables I’ve ever sat on. And sitting across from me were co-table captains – both from Croatia and still recovering from the soccer match with Turkey earlier in the day – and both with stacks of over $3000.

Important note: The Wynn is one of a handful of poker rooms that does not cap the buy-ins for no-limit cash games. Most rooms would have capped me at $500 max buy-in on a $2/$5 game, meaning I would have been at a distinct disadvantage against deep, hyper-aggressive stacks. But with my ability to put down $500 in chips and another ten bills behind my stack, I was not to be trifled with unless the hand was really worth it.

Less than an hour into the table, I had taken more than half of one of the big stacks away (once with a bluff, once with a monster that got paid) and was beginning to chip into the second captain’s remaining stack. The first kid eventually went on meg-tilt and dumped off the rest of his stack on a draw against someone that had turned a full house…oops.

I finally did the rest of my damage against captain #2 with a ridiculously good call, if I do say so myself. On a board of Qs-4s-As-Kc-8h, I called a $300 bet (into an $800 pot) on the river with A7 of diamonds. He disgustedly flipped over Ks-7h and immediately started berating me for making the call. I just smiled and stacked his chips.

So tonight is an early night – turning in at 10pm so I can be up and ready to check out of one hotel and into the other tomorrow morning. Three more days to keep adding to the bankroll.

Lata.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home