Saturday, June 09, 2007

The Sports World Comes to a Standstill

This is such a lousy time of year for sports, it’s amazing. Baseball is the dominant day-to-day story, with the NBA & NHL Finals, the majors in golf & tennis, and not much else.

Problem is, baseball is such a long season that on a day-to-day basis one game makes very little difference (I know – try saying that in September when your team misses the playoffs or loses home-field advantage by one game). No one cares about the NBA or NHL Finals; seriously – have you seen the ratings? The Stanley Cup Finals dropped off 20% from last season’s numbers, and last season wasn’t all that great. On average, the three “National” games on NBC brought in a rating of 1.6, which translates to about 1.8 Million households tuned in to the game, in the entire country.

And for as much as I love both playing and watching golf, I can’t in good conscience dedicate an entire post to next week’s US Open, even if it is being held about a mile and a half from my apartment. (Side Note – Tuesday, I’m going to try to live blog the practice rounds live from Oakmont – my boss is a member at a local club and was given tickets for all four days of the Open plus the practice rounds, so he gave me the tickets for the Tuesday practice rounds. Hey – better than working all day.)

As for Tennis and The French Open… c’mon – let’s be serious about this.

I suppose I could dive into the NFL’s early mini-camps, but nothing happens in the early camps that is all that season altering aside from player contract disputes (the big ones so far look to be Asante Samuel, Daunte Culpepper and Alan Faneca) or major injuries – so far, so good on that front.

So where does that leave a lonely sports blogger like me? I could post every day and try to make a story out of what happened the night before, but there are plenty of other sites like DeadSpin or The DanWagon that do a far better job of that than I ever will – plus, the whole “working 9-5 for a living” kind of cramps my daily writing abilities.

I’m open to any ideas. I do plan on writing up a mid-season baseball summary, checking to see just how horrible my Pre-Season preview was. And then of course there’s my annual NFL Preview Opus. I’ll probably jump in between now and then with a few random posts / check-ins, and most definitely some thoughts on the MLB Trading deadline in a couple weeks.

I just wanted to check in today to let you all know that I’m alive. Just busy with life things for the past few weeks. I’ll be back soon.

Lata.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Blogger Jenny! said...

You could post about which players are taking steroids! I actually enjoy baseball (a teeny tiny bit) b/c I know what's going on, I know the rules and I love the hot dogs and beer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home