Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Week 1 Recap - So... about that Week One?

Not good times here in New England. The Patriots season appears to be over after eight minutes of Game One. At least the Red Sox are making a push to take back the AL East.

Here’s a handful of quick thoughts about the opening week of the NFL Season:

n Did I really say the Raiders’ offense wasn’t going to be as inept as in 2007? Really? That seemed like a good idea to put it in writing for all time? Hmmm… I should probably lay off the AM beers on post days.

n The Steelers look good. Like… really, really good. Like, might be the AFC favorites with a certain New England QB shelved for the next 12-18 months. Crap. Although, it was only the Texans that they beat up on.

n I’m astonished at just how bad the Rams are. On both sides of the ball. Donovan McNabb carved up their defense with his top two receivers out for the game. I’m starting to think the 2-4 record I predicted for St. Louis might have been generous.

n Might have been a bit premature to crown Jacksonville the best team in the AFC South. Although, at least they lost to a playoff team - Indy got their lunch handed to them by the Bears. That’s just inexcusable.

n Stupid Saints (-4.5) line costing me a 12-win week to open the season… damnit-all. The worst part - I set the line myself since it wasn't posted anywhere as of post time, and I still got it wrong! I suppose 11-5 isn’t all that bad. Of course, I don’t bet on weeks 1 and 17, so this was just a big waste for me. Hope you got something out of it.

n For the record, this year’s “Money Line system” went 10-6 in Week 1. Though I don’t think anyone would have chosen the Browns, Niners or Dolphins to win outright. Personally, I was 13-3 with no spread this week. I like those kinds of numbers.

n I’m not saying anything else about the Brady injury until the weekly picks on Friday after I say this – the instant it happened, I turned to my buddy Jay who I was watching the game with and said: “There goes the season. That’s at least an ACL, and maybe an MCL too.” As someone who’s had his share of knee injuries, seeing the type of hit and the way Brady’s leg bent inwards and then exploded out, there was never a doubt in my mind. Here’s hoping for a full recovery by training camp ’09 (though ACL’s usually take at least 18 months to get back the full strength – just ask Daunte Culpepper).

n Actually, 1 last thing. Damn my stupidity for not immediately jumping on Bodog to get a bet in on the Patriots’ “under” for season wins – it was still at ±12.5. I’m an idiot (like you didn’t already know that).

That’s it. Picks on www.spartyandfriends.com Friday afternoon.

Lata.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home