Thursday, October 28, 2004

2004 World Series - Victory

I'm not dreaming, right? I did just watch the Red Sox win a World Series? Because I just woke up, and it's probably the most perfect October day I've ever seen, and everything that happened in the last 12 hours really just feels like it was a dream. And if that's the case, then I sure hope I put a "Do Not Disturb" sign outside my door.

I'm writing from my friend Jay's apartment in Watertown. He went to work - I slept in, folded up the air mattress, called in, and started writing. Seems about right.

Here's a quick recap of what I remember from last night (not due to excessive drinking, just too much emotion):

Captain Caveman teed off on a pitch in the first. I don't think anybody, not even Mark Bellhorn, has had a turnaround in the playoffs like Damon has had. Not much was expected of Bellhorn. Johnny Damon is the leadoff batter, and is expected to be on base four out of every ten times.

Somewhere around the fourth inning, I started thinking that with a World Series victory, Boston could very well explode. I actually mentioned that I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the celebration in the Hub might register on the Richter Scale.

In the eighth inning I remember telling my friend Don that we were going to have to go through the hearts of the Cardinals order to end this thing in a 3-run game, and that scared the hell out of me. Later in the eighth, I mentioned that the final out really needed to go 6-3 (Cabrera to Mientkiewicz) in order to really close out the season and finalize everything. After Pujols singled in the ninth, Don said "How about Cabrera - Pokey - Mientkiewicz?"

As Keith Foulke squeezed a little dribbler and flipped to first, I don't remember my reaction much. I think I collapsed a little and was more or less held up by my friends. Surprisingly, I think this is the same reaction I had after the 2003 ALCS Game 7. This time, it was tears of joy, and it was perfect.

As we left The White Horse and walked to Kenmore Square, across the Mass Ave bridge and on right through to Central Square, I looked up and just stared at the Lunar Eclipse over my head with a stupid little smile on my face. I still can't comprehend what I just witnessed over the past week. I can't wrap my head around this; it's just not real yet. Maybe tomorrow, or the next day, or sometime between now and March.

I think I need to go back to bed, and just keep on dreaming...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home