Wednesday, October 27, 2004

2004 World Series - 3 down...

206 wins and 118 losses. That is the combined regular season records of the two teams against which the Boston Red Sox have just reeled off seven straight postseason wins. I’m sorry, did I say this team was dead just a week ago? That may have been my biggest “Oops” prediction ever, ranking right up there with putting the Redskins in the upcoming Super Bowl and saying that the Red Sox should have traded Pedro back in April. Well, we all make mistakes.

I’m still in shock over the fact that the Red Sox have a chance to clinch a World Series for the first time in 31,091 days (September 11, 1918). What’s more, we might just get a sign from above tonight that “this is the year”, since there is a full lunar eclipse that is supposed to be visible during then middle of the game. What more proof do you need that the Red Sox HAVE to win in 2004?

On to last night’s game. First of all, who says these guys can’t play defense? In the first three innings alone, they turned a 7-2 double-play and a 4-3-5 double-play. C’mon, that’s pretty impressive, even if both were the direct result of poor base running more than stellar defense. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that A) Manny’s bat finally awoke from it’s nine game slumber to CRUSH a first inning fastball over the left field wall (and almost give all of America a free taco…), and B) Pedro was magnificent after settling down in the fourth.

Over the course of the first seven outs, he allowed three hits and two walks, striking out only one. Over the final fourteen outs, he allowed no one to reach base, period, and struck out five. Talk about finding your groove. Hell, he even drew a bases-empty one-out walk in the top of the sixth off Kiko Calero (who would have the best name of the World Series if not for teammate So Taguchi. What’s really amazing is that the spellchecker gives me errors for Kiko Calero, but it’s ok with So Taguchi. Sorry, rambling again).

I’m not really up to writing a ton today, mainly because I’ve written so much over the past two weeks that I think I’ve developed carpal tunnel and will need a trip to the 60-day DL to recover. But also, I’m planning to go to Boston tonight, just in case, because I want the opportunity to revel in my team’s success with 100,000 of my closest friends. And if it doesn’t happen tonight (which it will), then I’ll be there tomorrow, or Saturday, or Sunday, right until the final pitch of the final at-bat. Not to mention the parade through the city, which is expected to attract 5 million or more fans to downtown Boston. And you thought the hub was tough to drive through before…

Anyway, that’s it. Nice short five minute read for you folks today. And if all goes according to plan, I’ll be too hung-over to even think tomorrow, let alone write. I need sleep; this series has to end in four games. That’s it, I’m calling a stop to all this nonsense right now…

Lata.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home