Thursday, June 24, 2004

This whole BALCO thing is absolutely about to snowball beyond control.

Yeah, I know I just wrote a column a couple days ago, but then I heard the news last night that Time Montgomery, the gold medal favorite for the US at the upcoming Olympics, is about to receive a lifetime ban from US running because the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has decided they’ve heard enough rumors to make their decision.

With no proof, mind you.

Even Carl Lewis, perhaps the most famous US Olympian of the last 50 years, didn’t exactly give Montgomery a ringing endorsement on SportsCenter this morning, when he responded to a question about Montgomery’s guilt by saying “He’s not exactly doing anything to disprove the allegations, especially not on the track”.

Wow.

What ever happened to “Innocent until proven guilty”? This is still America, right?

But just a moment ago, I caught a “SportsFlash” on WEEI radio that left me with my jaw hanging open and no words coming out. All I could think to do was hop on here and type away.

Tim Montgomery is reportedly ready to flip on Barry Bonds and others implicated in the BALCO scandal. He’s ready to sell out to save his own skin. Something is terribly wrong here.

I’m not going to pretend that I ever really believed that Barry Bonds was steroid-free through the whole scandal; like I said earlier this week, take a look at his rookie card and then look at him now; it’s like Mary-Kate Olsen suddenly realizing “Hey, maybe I should eat”, then binging on First Bite and Guinness for years on end (hmm, sounds strikingly like my college years, minus the anorexic part…)

Anyway, all joking aside, this whole BALCO thing is getting out of control. If the government has to step in and simply start naming names to really clean up the sport world, then so be it. I’d much rather know that someone either was or wasn’t juicing than to speculate that every home-run hitter or world-class sprinter had a little extra edge.

Finally, one last point. If, in fact, it is revealed that certain MLB players were using THG to “help their workouts”, there should be no asterisk next to any records set during the past five years. THG wasn’t banned by MLB; hell, it wasn’t even illegal until very recently.

But until anything is proven, I’m willing to take it on face value that everyone is innocent. Call me naive, but I still believe that it must be proven before it is true.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home